The Best Nostalgic Halloween Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Make way for costumes, trick-or-treating (for those of us who still can) and, of course, Halloween movies. If you’re anything like me, you don’t like to be scared out of your wits, but you can still appreciate the quality and fun of Halloween movies that, let’s face it, all of us watched at one point or another. So here’s a list that will hopefully get you in the mood for that magical time in fall: Halloween.

1.       It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Even if you don’t love Peanuts, you love Peanuts. In “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown,” Charlie’s friend Linus tries to get everyone to believe that on Halloween night The Great Pumpkin, like Santa, comes to town. While the rest of the crew goes out trick-or-treating, Linus waits with Sally in the pumpkin patch for The Great Pumpkin to appear. Watch this 25 minute flick for a quick Halloween flashback.

2.       Halloweentown

Honestly, we all wanted to be Marnie Piper at some point. Who doesn’t want to find out that your grandmother is actually a witch with magical powers that she has passed on to you? Even better, you get to use your powers against dark forces  and find the ingredients to activate Merlin’s wand. For a Halloween adventure, catch the bus to Halloweentown.

3.       Mom’s Got a Date with a Vampire

Matchmaking goes wrong in this flick, when Adam and Chelsea Hansen simply want to help their mom land a date so they can go out on Halloween, and instead hook her up with a vampire. The feuding siblings must now team up to save their mom before she becomes one of Dimitri’s minions!

4.       Hocus Pocus

Confession: Max Dennison was the first guy I ever had a crush on. Though I realize Max is now twenty years older than he was when Hocus Pocus was first released, the movie itself is timeless, with music ensembles by Bette Midler, a talking cat and the funniest trio of witches you will ever see. Get some eye candy while eating real candy with this 90s-era Halloween spectacle!

5.       Casper the Friendly Ghost

Ghosts in general freak me out, but Casper seemed like a pretty solid guy, despite his translucent exterior. With three crazy ghost-uncles, Christina Ricci and the Lazarus Machine, this ghost movie can bring out the inner child in all of us.

Image source

–          http://ww2.abc.go.com/shows/its-the-great-pumpkin-charlie-brown