5 Tips to Survive Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

It’s that time of year, collegiettes™ – finals week is just around the corner! While you’re conquering all the papers, projects and exams that stand in the way of winter break, we have compiled a few tips to help you survive finals week.

1. Take care of yourself. Although it’s tempting to reach for the Red Bulls and junk food, what your body really needs during such a stressful time is sleep and nutrition. Drinking lots of water and stocking up on healthy snacks, such as fresh fruit or nuts, can really help give you the natural energy you need to get through the week. Make sure to get as much sleep as possible, including naps! A short twenty minute nap can recharge you and help you power through the late nights.

2. Blow off steam. Studying for hours can be stressful, so make sure to schedule some time to do something fun. Whether it’s going for a quick trip to the gym, going outside to enjoy the snow or meeting a friend for coffee, making time for something you enjoy can make all the work you have to do so much more manageable.

3. Organize. In the stress of finals week, it can be easy for things to slip your mind. Find an organization system that works for you. Maybe it’s a planner or covering everything in sticky notes. Make sure you have your finals schedule written down and refer to it often.

4. Find a study place that works for you. Maybe you get the best work done in the basement of the library, or maybe you find the silence intimidating and prefer to study in Alliot. Wherever you do your best work is the place to hang out during finals week. The library is not the only place to study – Alliot and the academic buildings are open 24/7.

5. Focus on what’s beyond finals. Finals may be an incredibly stressful week, but it is just one week. When finals are over, you get a month off! Focus on the rewards of that month off: time to go home, see your family, go Christmas shopping and recharge your batteries. Good luck collegiettes™!

Image source: http://www.registrar.pitt.edu/…

Lauren Mazzoleni is a junior at Saint Michael's College where she majors in Digital Arts, Media Studies, and Journalism and minors in Psychology. Lauren and Alexandra Brenock are the two campus correspondents for Saint Michael's HC Branch. At Saint Michael's, she is a student blogger, a tour guide, and a disc jockey at WWPV 88.7 FM. Many of her friends would say that when she is not busy attending her classes or working on HC articles, you could find her watching many of the shows she always DVRs (Glee, Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, etc), shopping on Church Street in downtown Burlington, and hanging out with her friends from Saint Michael's and from her hometown in NH.