What It’s Like to Be a Skidmore Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

For all of you collegiettes who forget what it was like your freshman year of college, here is a little refresher! Hopefully it will bring up memories—maybe good, some bad, mostly embarrassing. We sat down with Skidmore freshmen and asked them: What is it like to be a Skidmore freshman?

Lindsay Ophel: It’s a good time! My motto is “Fake it ‘til you make it!”

Maddi Reynolds: Hard! It’s like being a high school freshman, but we’re done with puberty.

Ali Gendron: As a Skid kid, and as a female, it’s fun, kind of exotic, and there are not a lot of options for male companions, but all in all it’s a good time!

Perri Keehn: A big transition. I have never been away from home for this long. It’s kind of like a new sense of independence that I’m not used to, but enjoying.

Nicki Bennet: It’s pretty great! It’s stressful, but rewarding.

Chelsea Bann: We have nothing to compare it to. It meets my expectations but I don’t know if it’ll get better than this. I’m happy with the way it’s going though!

Jen Lutton: I had high expectations and Skidmore [has] met all of them! But I don’t know anything besides being a freshman. Maybe it gets better, I don’t know!

[pagebreak]

And here’s something we don’t get often here at HC Skidmore: a guy’s opinion! When asking this question to members of the other 40% of our school, we expected different responses. Check out what our resident Skid boys had to say on freshman year!

Gabe Snider: I love college.

Michael Koshakow: I don’t think there is one blanket statement that can apply to every guy’s experience at Skidmore; it varies from person to person. For the guy who’s very outgoing and comfortable approaching new people, being a guy at Skidmore is probably awesome. But for kids who are more introverted and less comfortable approaching new people, being a guy at Skidmore probably isn’t very different than being a guy at any other school.

We hope reading about our class of 2017’s experiences have helped you relive some of your most fond memories of being the babies of the school!

What was your freshman year at Skidmore like? Tell us in the comments!

Sara Pion

Skidmore

My name is Sara Pion, I am a student at Skidmore college and originally from Boston Massachussetts. I love all things fashion and doing DIY crafts.