Top 5 Coolest Sounding Classes: Spring 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

It’s that time of year when campus is buzzing with conversations about what classes to choose next semester. What classes do you need for your major? What have you always wanted to take? We’re here to share the coolest sounding classes and maybe help you discover something new!

1. AS-251C How to See a Buddha

Department: Asian Studies

Meeting Time: Tuesday/Thursday 9:40-11:00 am

Professor: Benjamin Bogin

Credits: 3

Description: special topics in Asian Studies

2. AA-351A Marketplace for Arists

Department: Arts Administration 

Meeting Time: Wednesday 8:30-9:30 am

Professor: Elizabeth Dubben

Credits: 1

Description: Advanced topics in Arts Admin.

3. BI-344 Biological Clocks

Department: Biology

Meeting Time: MW 10:10-11:05 am or Monday 2:30-5:30 pm

Professor: Bernard Possidente

Credits: 4

Description: Organisms in all the major taxonomic groups have internalized geophysical and other periodicities in the form of endogenous biological mechanism that function as clocks. Theoretical, molecular, cellular, physiological, behavioral, ecological, and biomedical aspects of biological clocks will be examined, with an emphasis on circadian clocks.

4. EN 105 Thirsty Boots: Travel Writers

Department: English 

Meeting Time: Monday and Wednesday 4:00-5:20pm

Professor: Sandra Welter

Credits: 4

Description: Writer Mary Oliver asks, “Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” For many, the answer would be immediate: travel! Students in this seminar will read a wide variety of writers, ancient and modern, women and men, Eastern and Western, highlighting the power of travel to spark self-discovery, nurture friendship, change world views, and draw connections across geographic and cultural landscapes. As William Least Heat-Moon wrote, “On the road, where change is continuous and visible, time is not; rather it is something the rider infers. Time is not the traveler’s fourth dimension – change is.” Through reading, discussion, and analytic writing, this course will trace the nature of this change, ultimately offering students the opportunity to write a travel essay of their own.

5. RE 330D The World’s End

Department: Religion 

Meeting Time: Monday and Wednesday 2:30-4:20pm

Professor: Gregory Spinner

Description: The study of a selected special topic in religion.

English Major and Business Minor at Skidmore College and new Co-CC of Skidmore HC. Spends free time hanging out with friends, taking yoga classes and dancing, and admittedly binge-watching her favorite Netflix shows.