Timeless Icon: Audrey Hepburn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Audrey Hepburn will always be an important role model for women and young girls. What she can teach us about morality, philanthrophy, and inner-beauty transcend notions of time and generation. Her lessons stick. Hepburn was a mega movie star in the 1950s and 60s, but had an equally vibrant life when she wasn’t on camera. The playful spirit and energy for life she brought to her movies existed in all other parts of her life as well; her charitable pursuits and genuine care for others is what defined her behind-the-scenes life. 

Growing up, my mom introduced me to the magic of Breakfast at Tiffany’s and I knew Ms. Hepburn was something special. She was a truly compassionate mother and friend and spent much of her later life involved with the UNICEF charity. She was also a poetry lover and one poem she commonly cited tells its readers to “speak words of kindness” for attractive lips and, that to have true poise, one must “walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.” The more I learned about her, the more I fell in love with the icon.

Buckle down this holiday break and watch some of her greatest movies. Here are a few of my personal favorites:

1. Breakfast at Tiffany’s
  2. Roman Holiday
  3. Sabrina
  4. Funny Face
  5. Charade
English Major and Business Minor at Skidmore College and new Co-CC of Skidmore HC. Spends free time hanging out with friends, taking yoga classes and dancing, and admittedly binge-watching her favorite Netflix shows.