Skidmore Community Garden

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Can ya dig it? The Skidmore Community Garden is making some changes, but they are keeping their focus on “good food and sustainable farming.”

Her Campus: Tell me about the Skidmore Community Garden (SCG).

SCG: Skidmore first had a garden in 2009. Until last year, the garden was located across North Broadway where fewer students, faculty, staff, and community members were aware of its existence. At our new location, we have had much more support from the community! We sell all of our produce to the Murray-Aikins Dining Hall. The garden is used by many groups within the Skidmore and Saratoga communities for recreational and educational activities. So far this year we have sold over 300 pounds of produce to the dining hall.

HC: What is your goal for the SCG?

SCG: My goal for the garden is to get people more interested in food sourcing, and to share some knowledge about growing vegetables!

HC: What is unique about the SCG?

SCG: The SCG is unique in that it is a an alternative resource for learning within the Skidmore community. Professors can use the garden as a teaching tool; students, faculty and staff can use it as a recreational and educational resource; and it provides delicious veggies to our community!

HC: Why should we care?

SCG: Food systems and sourcing are an incredibly important issue right now in the world. The SCG serves to give people a snapshot into what it takes to grow food.

HC: How can students get involved?

SCG: We meet every Sunday afternoon from 1-3pm at the garden.

HC: Any upcoming events?

SCG: The Harvest Dinner will be taking place on Sunday, November 2nd. Check the student announcements for more information and keep an eye out for posters!

A senior at Skidmore College, who loves beagles, batman, and sushi. You can find me dreaming about Anderson Cooper and doing crossword puzzles.