Liz McCrorey: Come Hell or High Fashion Blogger

Posted -

If you have an eye for fashion, you’ve probably already spotted this campus celebrity in the halls. Liz McCrorey is anything but another face in the crowd; her bold use of black, white, and red and her affinity for stripes and skulls make her one of the most cutting-edge Skiddies to ever strut down Broadway. Now she’s gaining even more recognition for her fashion-savvy and writing chops thanks to her blog, Come Hell or High Fashion. Her Campus spoke with Liz to learn about the inspiration behind the blog and the future that this fashionista envisions for herself (and for our wardrobes!).

Her Campus: What inspired you to start your fashion blog, Come Hell or High Fashion?

Liz McCrorey: I adore fashion and I’ve always loved writing, so a blog seemed like a good way to combine these interests. I’m interested in many different aspects of fashion; while I’m always up for talking about runway shows or celebrity style, I’m also fascinated by the culture of fashion and how what we wear says something about us as people. So, Come Hell or High Fashion became a space for me to ponder about any of the above.

HC: How is this blog different than your previous blog, What Would Lucy Wear

LM: WWLW was a blog my friend Mariel and I started as a place to write about fashion at Skidmore, but I realized that I wanted to give myself more freedom in what I write about. Come Hell or High Fashion is my “anything goes” blog where I allow myself to write about anything and everything regarding fashion and style. The change especially made sense for my semester abroad. I’ve ended up having much more fun without as many rules.

HC: Many of your posts this year were inspired by your experiences in Europe while studying abroad in Paris this fall. How did your time abroad influence your ideas on or exposure to fashion?

LM: European fashion was interesting. In Paris, I definitely noticed a larger percentage of people looking “well dressed” than I’ve seen in the U.S. It seemed like most people dressed in a very classic style; there were a lot of blazers and flats and sometimes some equestrian flare in the accessories and details. While I appreciate this polished look and loved having nicely dressed people to look at everywhere I went, it did make me realize that I enjoy the variety of fashion in the U.S. For me, fashion is just as much about keeping things interesting and tailored to your personality as it is about looking good and feeling confident.

HC: You wrote about attending Paris’ Vogue Fashion Night Out. What can you tell us about the event?

LM: For Fashion Night Out, fashion houses open their doors and invite attendees to see the current styles and often provide them with drinks and music. Anyone who subscribes to Vogue or buys the September issue on newsstands receives a little card with the magazine, which is your ticket into the shops. It’s essentially an event intended to fuel sales, but the most fun aspect of it is seeing everyone dressed up milling about in the shops and on the streets. I attended FNO early on in my semester abroad and it really fueled my excitement about living in one of the fashion capitals of the world!

About The Author

Kate is the Associate Editor of Her Campus. Before joining the staff full-time, Kate was the Campus Correspondent for the HC Skidmore College chapter as well as an editorial intern, Love editor, and national contributing writer for HC. In addition to her work with Her Campus, Kate has been a Sex & Love stringer and digital editorial intern for WomensHealthMag.com and an Inner Circle Trendspotter for MTV. Kate graduated from Skidmore College summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa with a Bachelor of Arts in English and French. In her spare time, Kate is usually spotted writing fiction, playing tennis, reading pop culture blogs until her eyes hurt, baking cookies, or dreaming up her next travel adventure.

Editor's Note

Are you an aspiring journalist or just looking for an outlet where you can share your voice? Apply to write for Her Campus!

User login