Liz McCrorey: Come Hell or High Fashion Blogger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

If you have an eye for fashion, you’ve probably already spotted this campus celebrity in the halls. Liz McCrorey is anything but another face in the crowd; her bold use of black, white, and red and her affinity for stripes and skulls make her one of the most cutting-edge Skiddies to ever strut down Broadway. Now she’s gaining even more recognition for her fashion-savvy and writing chops thanks to her blog, Come Hell or High Fashion. Her Campus spoke with Liz to learn about the inspiration behind the blog and the future that this fashionista envisions for herself (and for our wardrobes!).

Her Campus: What inspired you to start your fashion blog, Come Hell or High Fashion?

Liz McCrorey: I adore fashion and I’ve always loved writing, so a blog seemed like a good way to combine these interests. I’m interested in many different aspects of fashion; while I’m always up for talking about runway shows or celebrity style, I’m also fascinated by the culture of fashion and how what we wear says something about us as people. So, Come Hell or High Fashion became a space for me to ponder about any of the above.

HC: How is this blog different than your previous blog, What Would Lucy Wear

LM: WWLW was a blog my friend Mariel and I started as a place to write about fashion at Skidmore, but I realized that I wanted to give myself more freedom in what I write about. Come Hell or High Fashion is my “anything goes” blog where I allow myself to write about anything and everything regarding fashion and style. The change especially made sense for my semester abroad. I’ve ended up having much more fun without as many rules.

HC: Many of your posts this year were inspired by your experiences in Europe while studying abroad in Paris this fall. How did your time abroad influence your ideas on or exposure to fashion?

LM: European fashion was interesting. In Paris, I definitely noticed a larger percentage of people looking “well dressed” than I’ve seen in the U.S. It seemed like most people dressed in a very classic style; there were a lot of blazers and flats and sometimes some equestrian flare in the accessories and details. While I appreciate this polished look and loved having nicely dressed people to look at everywhere I went, it did make me realize that I enjoy the variety of fashion in the U.S. For me, fashion is just as much about keeping things interesting and tailored to your personality as it is about looking good and feeling confident.

HC: You wrote about attending Paris’ Vogue Fashion Night Out. What can you tell us about the event?

LM: For Fashion Night Out, fashion houses open their doors and invite attendees to see the current styles and often provide them with drinks and music. Anyone who subscribes to Vogue or buys the September issue on newsstands receives a little card with the magazine, which is your ticket into the shops. It’s essentially an event intended to fuel sales, but the most fun aspect of it is seeing everyone dressed up milling about in the shops and on the streets. I attended FNO early on in my semester abroad and it really fueled my excitement about living in one of the fashion capitals of the world!

[pagebreak]

HC: How would you describe your style?

LM: Businesswoman goes to a rock show. I like to mix classic elements with edgier pieces; I love blazers and pencil skirts, but I also love band T-shirts and combat boots. My favorite colors to wear are black, white and red. I love this strong, eye-catching palette. I was really shy growing up, so fashion became a way of saying something about myself without speaking.

HC: Who are your favorite designers?

LM: No one compares to Alexander McQueen! He’s the one who first interested me in the world of high fashion. I’m amazed by his attention to detail and the way he tells stories through his collections. I also love the way he finds beauty in unexpected places no one else would think to look. I think Sarah Burton has done a wonderful job with the brand since she took over. She keeps the McQueen spirit alive while making it her own. Lately, I’ve also been enjoying collections by Marchesa, Ralph Lauren and Yves Saint Laurent.

HC: What do you expect to see on the racks as this spring’s hottest trends?

LM: I’ve heard windowpane patterns are on the rise. It seems like there will be a good deal of big geometric patterns and architectural shapes (boxy jackets, structured tops, interesting sleeves, etc.). Menswear-inspired shoes have been big lately and I think that trend will continue. And, as always, brights tend to come back for spring.

HC: Does your interest in fashion relate to your academic studies? Do you plan to pursue a career related to fashion after you graduate?

LM: Good timing with this question. I’m starting to think about my senior thesis for my English major, which will most likely involve Victorian literature, gender roles and fashion. Currently, I can’t be more specific than that simply because I haven’t thought it through entirely yet. As for a career, I’m interested in marketing/merchandising/buying and would love to work in said departments at a fashion-related company. I’m currently looking into internships for this summer, so who knows where I’ll end up, but yes, I would love to work in the business side of fashion.

HC: What advice would you give to a student who’s also interested in starting a fashion blog of his or her own?

LM: Go for it! It’s very fun and is yet another way to think about style and engage in the fashion world. As for advice, I think it helps to make deadlines for yourself. I’ve made it a New Year’s resolution to post at least once a week to make sure I’m always keeping my blog fresh and new. That said, give yourself plenty of freedom with your blog… you don’t want it to feel like work. It sounds cliché, but do it because you love it and have fun with it!

Check out Come Hell or High Fashion for more of Liz’s insight on the fashion industry, our daily duds, and all things edgy!

Kate is the Associate Editor of Her Campus. Before joining the staff full-time, Kate was the Campus Correspondent for the HC Skidmore College chapter as well as an editorial intern, Love editor, and national contributing writer for HC. In addition to her work with Her Campus, Kate has been a Sex & Love stringer and digital editorial intern for WomensHealthMag.com and an Inner Circle Trendspotter for MTV. Kate graduated from Skidmore College summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa with a Bachelor of Arts in English and French. In her spare time, Kate is usually spotted writing fiction, playing tennis, reading pop culture blogs until her eyes hurt, baking cookies, or dreaming up her next travel adventure.
Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.