Just English/Classics Major Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Hey! Are you also an English and Classics Double Major? Sweet, that raises the number up to two of us here at Skidmore. You’ll probably recognize some of these struggles then.

1. A Constant Run Between Third Floor Palamountain and Second Floor Filene

For some reason, our two favorite departments happen to be THE farthest away from anything convenient on campus. Up three flights of stairs to your English class in Room 300? No big deal. But running to Second Floor Filene, all the way in the arts section of campus, to make your appointment with your advisor directly after that class? Near impossible.

2. Getting WAY too into the Greek mythology allusions in your Shakespeare Class

Yeah, we all know that Shakespeare was enamoured with the myths, just like you. But make sure to tone it down when your professor mentions Theseus or the Amazons in A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Other people don’t get our weird and bizarre love of these Greek stories.

3. Thinking your Greek class would be “helpful with your English skills”

Yup, we’ve all been there. While it SEEMS like Greek would be helpful in figuring out those pesky English grammar rules, sadly it only makes English more confusing. Should’ve taken Latin, my friend.

4. Trying to read the Odyssey like you would in an English class

Oh, I’m sorry, did you think you would be close reading the Odyssey in your Classics class? Think again! While the idea of finding motifs and symbols in the Odyssey is ~incredibly~ appealing, Classics looks at literature a little differently. It can take some getting used to but once you adjust, you discover there’s a whole new way to look at old texts. Sometimes it’s cool to think about ancient literature in terms of its cultural context instead of going full English major on it.

5. The Study Abroad Dilemma

Do you go to Bath, where you could take both English and Classics classes? A dream come true?? Or do you branch out and go to Rome or Athens, completely different cultures with rich history and amazing food? The choice is yours, despite what your mother might think.

Even though it can be hard to double major, if you’re doing what you love than it makes it fun. Good luck out there!

Morgan Fechter

Skidmore '20

CC of HC Skidmore