How to Get Healthy and Fit in Time for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

The end of winter break has finally arrived, and believe it or not, Spring Break is right around the corner.  After what was assumedly (and understandably) a lax and comfort-food-filled winter break, it’s time to get back on track.  And, as we all know, the cold weather is less than motivational.  Stepping out of my car after a four hour drive back to school, the cold upstate New York air harshly greeted me, along with the shock of a completely snow-covered campus and dangerous black ice underfoot. However, as I lugged my severely over-packed bags up the three flights of stairs to my room, something else became incredibly clear: I was returning to campus in pretty terrible shape. My heavy panting and near collapse under the weight of my belongings emphasized my realization, to say the least. But, this was no surprise. Back in December, finals stress led me straight to the sweetest and the quickest foods available. When I returned home, I felt no shame in partaking in the inevitable holiday eating spree.
For those of us who are in the same position, how do we get back on track? How do we rediscover the motivation to get back on the treadmill, or drop the cookie in favor of some carrots? For me, I just think about the outfit I’m planning to sport during the upcoming weekend or, of course, Spring Break. To start, set some realistic goals. Since our bodies have been somewhat dormant over the past month, going to gym or doing some sit ups every now and then won’t yield instant results, nor will cutting out carbs and eating only spinach leaves for a week. Conceiving a number of pounds you would want to lose is helpful, but not always the ideal plan. What could be far more effective is striving to simply become a healthier individual for the long term.  That is, aim to work out at least 3-4 days a week and creating a manageable eating plan.

Finding the time to go to the gym or an exercise class is difficult, but if you incorporate time for exercise as part of your weekly schedule, it can become much easier. I know we are all tired and stressed as we get back into the swing of classes, but the more active we are, the more energetic we can be, and it is no secret that improving your fitness can also be a stress reliever. Instead of saying, “I’ll go to the gym sometime this week,” plan ahead for specific days and actually mark them on your calendar, as if they were a class. Either hit the gym or sign up for some great classes that can actually earn you credit! For example, I take Pilates, and even though there are a few days where I am just not in the mood to do exercises that rip my abs apart, I’m easily convinced to go if it affects my grade. If you were too late to sign up for the fitness classes offered, our Student Government Association sponsored free workout classes last semester with activities such as kickboxing, water aerobics, and yoga. I am a person who is often lax about my workouts if I’m left to my own devices, so these classes, led by local instructors, are great options.
The most important thing about getting back in shape is varying your routine and doing a workout that you enjoy. According to Survivingcollegelife.com, a successful workout is compromised of both cardio and strength training. Doing anything for too long a period can just get boring, but it’s even worse when it is something you hate doing. There are many different ways to exercise at the gym and you should take the time to find the things that best fit your fitness needs. If I forced myself to face the treadmill every time I went to the gym, I probably would never go back. The more you enjoy the act of working out, the easier it will become to make it part of your daily or weekly routine.
For those of us who can’t even bear the thought of walking to the gym, or don’t have enough hours in the day, there are plenty of exercises that can be found online, created for working out in a small dorm room. You could also purchase some weights and lift in the privacy of your single, or even buy a workout DVD to follow along with a teacher. I recommend you check out  Survivingcollegelife.com, Collegecandy.com, and other college-themed sites for their suggestions.
The most difficult part of getting back in shape for me is discarding the terrible eating habits I develop over break. Now that I am back at school, I have endless options of food prepared for me at the dining hall and it is extremely hard to have any sort of discipline. Luckily, portion size has become more apparent in the food served at d-hall, and the salad bar is plentiful and varying. If you can ignore the attractive, beckoning soft serve machine, as well as the multiple sundae nights, and think carefully about proper nutrition and eating the correct amount of foods that are good for you, the dining hall can be a fantastic ally in getting back in shape.
Rediscovering good fitness and eating habits may seem intimidating now, but these goals are certainly attainable. However, nothing can happen without commitment. I hate to sound cliché, but if you do not truly want to get back into shape and find a healthier life at college, finding the motivation to do so will be a difficult task. However, the options for achieving your goals are endless on campus and there is no better time than the beginning of a fresh semester to take advantage. Hey, I’m in the same position as you, so why don’t we give it a shot?

Adriana is a junior at Skidmore College, with an English major and Studio Art and French double minor. Born and raised in the Main Line suburbs of Philadelphia, Adriana loves to travel, write, and paint. She has spent summers in France and Italy studying fashion, painting, and art history, and recently finished her semester abroad in Paris. At Skidmore, Adriana enjoys participating in musicals, club soccer and field hockey, and writing for the school newspaper. With advertising and graphic design internships under her belt, Adriana is excited to continue her experience in journalism at Her Campus, and eventually get a law degree. In her free time, she loves to play tennis, paint oil portraits, and play the piano.