Campus Celeb: Bing Xu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Name: Bing Xu

Class Year: 2016

Hometown: Qingdao, China

Major: Management and Business

Her Campus: Tell us how you got your internship and what you do for the company?

Bing Xu: I intern in a Paris based fashion media company. I am responsible for social media. I met the founder six months ago at the Laurence Xu Haute Couture fashion show in Paris. I work as Laurence Xu’s special assistant during the 2016 SS Paris Haute Couture fashion week and his show in Milan for Milan Expo. 

HC: What was your favorite part of fashion week?

BX: I like fashion week because it is not only a particular time to release new season collections, but also an international party to promote fashion businesses. In Paris, even though most of the brands on PFW schedule are French, they combine international efforts in many aspects. We can see make up teams from New York, press companies from Milan, construction teams from Paris, editors, buyers, press, celebrities, fashion bloggers, fashion journalists and other opinion leaders from all over the world. These people not only come to see the runway show and witness new trend for next season, but also have chances to communicate and promote fashion and luxury business during fashion weeks. Each brand has its after party and next day showroom reviews. It invites buyers to select certain products for different markets in different countries, VIP to review and pre-order, fashion bloggers and press to make buzz on social media, journalists and fashion insiders to have closer look and provide opinions. There are many things going on behind the camera and photo spreads during fashion week.

HC: If you were to describe your style in 3 words, which would you use?

BX: Monochrome, red, less is more.

HC: How is the street style in Paris different from the Skid street style?

BX: The classic Parisian women look is dressing in black, taking red lip stick and being skinny. Yet we can still see some colors on street style photos. They are simple but elegant. There are no dramatic pattern and color contrast, but a lot of vintage pieces and different layers combination. They don’t like sweatshirts, UGG shoes and sports wear when they don’t go to the gym. (Adidas superstar is an exceptionality). Skid street style is comfortable, casual and student lifestyle oriented.

Some punk, some gothic and some bohemian.

HC: Can we look forward to seeing your brand in Paris fashion week sometime in the future?

BX: Maybe see me work for someone else’s brand? I don’t concentrate on fashion design even though I appreciate and admire those designers’ creativity and innovations. I aim to do the branding and marketing part for a brand or work as press in fashion. 

Sara Pion

Skidmore

My name is Sara Pion, I am a student at Skidmore college and originally from Boston Massachussetts. I love all things fashion and doing DIY crafts.
A senior at Skidmore College, who loves beagles, batman, and sushi. You can find me dreaming about Anderson Cooper and doing crossword puzzles.