Behind the Door: Brenna Goldstein

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

When decorating your own space for the first time, it’s easy to fall into the Wal-Mart plastic bins, purple/green color scheme, and the haphazard bags of [insert your favorite snack here] cluttering the desk. If this describes your room, don’t miss our weekly installation of Behind the Door, where we unveil the best-decorated rooms on campus.

Sophomore, Brenna Goldstein is a New York City native and her room is a true testament to her love for the city. She is an education major with plans to work in the administrative side of schools. When she’s not hanging out in her cozy single, she can be seen giving tours of Skidmore, knitting, and taking photographs. With a collection of photos from her past and a growing wall of polaroids (updated monthly), her room is a perfect fusion of old and new. HC got to sit down (on her crazy comfortable comforter from Urban Outfitters) with this lovely spunky girl.

HC: What were your inspirations for decorating this room?
BG: I wanted it to be colorful and remind me of home. Just like a real home. I wanted to look forward to going back to my room. Because I have a single, I can really do whatever I want with this place. So it’s very much a representation of me.

HC: How do you think growing up in NYC has influenced your style?
BG: How hasn’t it?! NYC is my favorite place in the world so I wanted to make that clear in my room. Some people think New York is big and overwhelming, but I’m from the upper west side, which I consider to be a very close neighborhood (which you don’t find in many cities). So I put up pictures of my neighborhood and my favorite places around the room. I’m a very big fan of the upper west side.

HC: What was the biggest issue you faced in setting up this room?
BG: The furniture they give us is helpful, but it definitely takes up a lot space. I wanted the furniture to create a space so people could come and hang out. Last year I was in a double in Weicking and the furniture didn’t get in my way. But now in this single, furniture takes up a lot of room. It’s all in using it effectively; It can be useful, but you just have to use smartly.
[pagebreak]
HC: You have a lot of art on your wall. Where are they from?
BG: The Keith Herring thing is from Pangea in downtown Saratoga. It was a set of five, so my friends and I bought them and each have one our walls. I’m a big classic rock fan—which reminds me of my parents. I found this New York old transit map from Pangea as well. Let It Be and Take It Easy are my favorite songs; Almost Famous and Parent Trap are my favorite movies. And I’m adding polaroids to the wall as the year goes on.

HC: Tell me about your pictures.
BG: I’m really into having hard copies of pictures. I really like having prints. These are my best friends and family. I decided to make the picture shelf because I tend to get really messy. I didn’t want to just throw stuff around. I wanted it to be a legitimate thing.

HC: Do you have an advice for other students?
BG: Don’t be afraid to update and change it as the year progresses. It’s okay to take your time to find stuff that you really like. Don’t just put stuff on your wall just because you have to. Surround yourself with stuff you like. This is your room and you can decorate it the way you want. Make it a place you look forward to because as the winter approaches Saratoga, you’re gonna be curled up in bed.

Think your room is a work of interior decorating genius? Email rstern@skidmore.edu to nominate your or a friend’s space!

As the Senior Designer, Kelsey is responsible for the conceptualization and design of solutions that support and strengthen Her Campus on all levels. While managing junior designers, Kelsey manages and oversees the creative needs of Her Campus’s 260+ chapters nationwide and abroad. Passionate about campaign ideation and finding innovative design solutions for brands, Kelsey works closely with the client services team to develop integrated marketing and native advertising campaigns for Her Campus clients such as Macy’s, UGG, Merck, Amtrak, Intel, TRESemmé and more. A 2012 college graduate, Kelsey passionately pursued English Literature, Creative Writing and Studio Art at Skidmore College. Born in and native to Massachusetts, Kelsey supplements creative jewelry design and metal smithing with a passion for fitness and Boston Bruins hockey. Follow her on Twitter: @kelsey_thornFollow her on Instagram: @kelsey_thorn