5 Things You Get Made Fun of For that Are Actually Awesome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

1) Going to bed early

Remember when you were little and you would protest when your parents made you go to bed early? Well, good news parents, I can now say that I have no objection to a pre-11 pm bedtime. It’s rare that I get to go to bed this early with homework and sports practice and club meetings, but on the rare and beautiful days when everything is done early, getting into bed at a reasonable hour is a welcome change. Amazingly enough, getting 8 hours of sleep does actually make you feel better in the morning! Who knew.

2) Watching chick flicks

Chick flicks get a bad reputation. They’re often written off for the reality of what they are: cheesy, emotional, unrealistic, but the truth is that sometimes its more fun to live in a cheesy unrealistic world. Sometimes you just don’t feel like having to think anymore, and BAM, there’s an early 2000s Lindsey Lohan movie ready to save the day. Chick flicks can boost your mood on any occasion- girls movie nights, random Tuesdays, while on the treadmill at the gym- the options are endless.

3) “Grandma” crafts (knitting, embroidery, etc)

I’ve always loved crafting. Knitting, sewing, collaging, all of the things that a normal 80 year old would do. Upon arriving at Skidmore I was surprised to find that there’s a knitting club and that a good amount of my friends are casual knitters. It’s not just limited to knitting though, other crafts such as embroidery and even things as simple as making homemade Valentines are an underrated and super fun way to spend your time. After mentioning this to my roommate she told me I needed a “Skidmore Grandma” hat. She’s not wrong.

4) Disney soundtracks, 90s throwbacks, boy bands

All of the music that you pretended not to like in high school is cool again. Ok, maybe it’s not “cool” again, and maybe it never was, but there’s something about putting on a good throwback song that your whole squad knows the words to. So press play on that song that you secretly love, and I can guarantee you’ll be allowed to keep the aux chord.  

5) Bad dance moves

The only thing more fun than dancing is dancing badly. Turning on some throwbacks and jamming out alone in your room, or even with a lot of people around, shouldn’t be embarrassing. You may look a little crazy, but no one can say that you don’t know how to have fun!

Morgan Fechter

Skidmore '20

CC of HC Skidmore
English Major and Business Minor at Skidmore College and new Co-CC of Skidmore HC. Spends free time hanging out with friends, taking yoga classes and dancing, and admittedly binge-watching her favorite Netflix shows.