5 Reasons Why Platonic Boy Friendships Rule!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

I attended an all-girls school from 7th to 12th grade meaning that my 10 closest friends were all girls. I had a few guy friends but none that I would be comfortable having hungover brunches with (the signifier of a close friend). That didn’t change much when I first got to Skidmore. My 10 closest friends were still all girls. I can’t say whether that was because I was most comfortable with all girls or if it was circumstantial because they all lived so close to me but that’s just how it ended up.

Flash-forward to (almost) second semester of sophomore year. I still have all my girlfriends, but out of the 10 people I consider my best friends at Skidmore, 50% of them are guys. The best part about my relationships with my guy friends is that… they’re all platonic! No, I’m not joking. I love my platonic guy friends. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Below are 5 reasons why having COMPLETELY platonic guy friends is the bomb.com!

1. You can wing-man each other at parties. No jealousy or sabotage going on. Just unadulterated, drunken, “go get him/her” pep-talks.

2. You can give each other advice on how to most efficiently snag that guy/girl you’ve been eyeing in the dining hall. Pre-guy friends, I thought that the “gentle arm touch” was a flirting technique myth. Turns out… guys love it! Thanks platonic guy friends.

3. We can be brutally honest with each other. They tell me whether or not my shirt is too see through and I tell them whether or not their deodorant is working. Sure, having my face shoved in a post-practice armit isn’t glamorous, but it’s what best buds do for each other.

4. There is never any “are we more than friends” or “unrequited love” stuff going on. The thought of hooking up with each other is pretty grotesque and while I pity the poor girl that falls for their shenanigans, I’m happy to help them get her.

5. We are each other’s texting/snapchatting coaches. No more being unsure if you should send that late-night snapchat or post-hook up text. I will tell them if they look embarrassingly sweaty and they will tell me if the monkey covering its eyes emoji is appropriate or tacky.

So if you’re looking for a new friend, try one of the opposite sex. It’s a game-changer.

Emma Bernstein

Skidmore '19

Senior polisci major with a passion for matcha, Cristiano Ronaldo, late-night political comedy, and bucket hats.