Breaking News: NFL players added to the ‘exempt’ list

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

It seems the NFL saga continues, as three more players were added to the exempt list today: Adrian Peterson, in the wake of child abuse accusations, Greg Hardy of the Carolina Panthers, who is currently appealing a domestic violence case and Ray McDonald of the San Francisco 49ers, also accused of domestic abuse on his pregnant fiancee. A third player, Jonathan Dwyer, was deactivated after he was arrested Wednesday on the basis of aggravated assault charges.

The video of Ray Rice assaulting his now-wife, Janay Palmer, sent shock waves through the nation. Many have wondered why it needed to come this far: did it take this footage being released to the public for the NFL to react to this brutal attack? Sadly, the answer is yes.

Ray Rice and Janay Palmer, above, before a press conference in May 2014 

This footage has enacted a snowball effect that has swept across the NFL, as many other teams and players are being forced to react to the reality of the situation: domestic violence and assault is a real issue, and its consequences affect people at all levels of social status. The issue is not just exempt to the pro-level, Florida State University Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston was benched for a half a game after standing on a table in the school’s student union and yelling, “F*ck her right in the p*ssy.” And yes, this is the same football player that was accussed of rape two years ago. There is no exception to the laws that protect of us of our human rights, but it is befuddling that larger than life entities are able to manipulate criminals actions’ in order to save themselves. We hope that this recent turn of events will encourage more women, NFL related or not, to feel comfortable about coming forward with their stories of sexual assault or domestic violence. 

Jameis Winston shortly after he accepted the Heisman Trophy. 

Stay tuned collegiates, this unveiling of criminal actions and their complications – on and off the field –  is far from over. 

HCXO, 

Sam and Taylor 

My name is Taylor Rizzolino, I am a student at Saint Joseph's University studying both English and Leadership, Ethics, and Organizational Sustainability. I am one of the founders of HerCampus SJU! I couldn't be more excited about this blog! I love Hawk Hill and all it has to offer students! I have spent the past two years volunteering on behalf of Saint Joe's, on the dance team at SJU and on The Hawk staff as a news writer. I love engaging audiences via social media and I hope to give all collegiates a well-rounded perspective of SJU through this blog ...with a lot of style and girl talk along the way! xo