Senior Spotlight: Sakeema Payne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

The Basics:

Name: Sakeema Payne

Hometown: Richmond, CA

Major: Advertising Minor: RTVF (Radio, Televison, and Film)

Year: Graduating Senior

1. How did you end up at SJSU?

S.P: I transferred to SJSU fall of 2016 from my community college–Contra Costa College, in the East Bay.

2. What is your favorite thing about attending SJSU?

S.P: I really like that the campus is small compared to other universities — SJSU is literally, one big square.

3. What prompted you to choose your major/minor?

S.P: I love directing, filming, and the whole aura of being on set. Because I want to direct commercials in the future I felt Advertising and RTVF (Radio, Televison, and Film) fit perfectly together.

4. Choose three words that describe you, why?

S.P: Ambitious, Determined, and Strong. 

I’ve chose these words because the industry is tough, trying to get into the industry is tough. And that is what I’ve been doing ever since I’ve decided that film is what I wanted to do. I’ve been in a lot of situations that I could have just stopped and gave up on my dreams, but I didn’t. I kept going. To keep going after difficult or discouraging times is tough. But that is something that I take pride in–to have the strength to pick myself up and keep going.

5. Favorite movie?

S.P: Dreamgirls (2006)

That film had a huge impact on me. I loved that it focused on relationships that women had with each other as well as their partners. I also loved the Mise-en-scène and wardrobe used in the film.

6. Do you have any hobbies?

S.P: I love to swim and spend time with my family and friends. 

I also love doing community service with my sorority–Sigma Theta Psi Multicultural Sorority, Inc. I’m proud to be part of the first multicultural sorority on San Jose State’s campus. An organization that was founded on embracing the strength and uniqueness of every woman. T~Psi!!

7. Favorite music artist/genre, why?

S.P: Favorite Artist — Mary J. Blige. She just speaks the truth. Genre: Hip-Hop and R&B. That music gives me energy.

8. Favorite place to shop, why?

S.P: Any and Everywhere. I love dresses, make-up, and shoes, and can spend a whole day at the mall. Trust me, I’ve done it before.

9. Where do you see yourself after graduation? Any career ideas, why?

S.P: I’m so happy to be graduating from SJSU this Spring. And happy to be an inspiration to the younger ones in my family , as well as and people back home.

I plan on working,doing something film related…you’ll just have to see.

10. How did you learn about Her Campus at SJSU?

S.P: I discovered you all through Instagram! I love your page and website! Keep up the amazing work!

11. How would you describe your style?

S.P: This one is hard. I feel like I have two styles:

1. Working, Busy, or on Set. And that style is just causal,basic, you know. Nothing cute.

And 2. Feeling good, dressing up, and putting on make-up. You know the whole 9-yards.

I feel like you can see these two different styles on my Instagram profile; when I’m filming and when I’m just having a good day *laughs*.

12. What has been your biggest accomplishment in life thus far?

S.P: Just sticking to my dreams and goals. I’ve wanted to be an artist since I was 5, and I’m so happy that I’m sticking to my goals.

13. Any plans to further your eduction in graduate school in the future?

S.P: No, but I would like to leave with this:

“What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up

like a raisin in the sun?

Or fester like a sore—

And then run?

Does it stink like rotten meat?

Or crust and sugar over—

like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags

like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?”-Langston Hughes

I hope anyone following their dreams doesn’t have to find out.

Feel free to follow Sakeema Payne 

on Instagram @spaynefilms

And Facebook www.facebook.com/spaynefilms .

Shellise West is the current campus correspondent at San Jose State University. Majoring in journalism with a minor in radio, television and film she plans to not fall short of fulfilling her dream as a sports reporter. A Bay Area native her hobbies include singing, dancing and listening to music. Follow Shellise on Twitter @SoulfulPenned.