What International Women’s Day Means to Her Campus Siena

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

March 8th is International Women’s Day, celebrating social, political, economical, and more types of equality for women all over the globe. Here at Her Campus Siena, some of our team members decided to explain what the special day meant to them as strong women working together on something bigger than all of us—Her Campus Media!

“To me, International Women’s Day means celebrating all the accomplishments women have made in all areas. It means standing with all of our sisters no matter race, sexual orientation, religion, or ability/disability so that we can continue to improve the world for everyone!” – Victoria Simpson ’18

“To me, International Women’s Day means celebrating a day where we rejoice in being comfortable with our natural selves. It’s a day where we don’t conform to the media’s ideas of what a perfect woman is, we celebrate our uniqueness and the beauty in our differences, from body image to career paths to political involvement and so forth. It’s a day where we are celebrated for being individuals, not celebrated for being molded into what others want us to be.” – Julianna Rauf ’19

“To me, International Women’s Day means an opportunity to put aside our differences and support all of our goals, achievements, and what makes each of us unique and wonderful. It is also a day where we can come together to remember how far we have come, to celebrate our collective achievements and gain solidarity for the milestones we have yet to achieve in order to make the world a better, safer, and equal place for everyone.” – Rachel Cox ’18

“To me, International Women’s Day is a day to acknowledge the past, appreciate the present, and celebrate the future. We as women are so close to achieving the equality and respect we so deeply deserve as human beings. We must continue to stand up for what is right and just to make every woman who came before us very, very proud. #girlpower” – Courtney Flood ’17

“To me, International Women’s Day means being able to honor all the amazing things woman have done in the past. It means being able to look towards the future and think of all the amazing ways women are leading various industries down new and exciting paths. It is a way to draw inspiration and motivation from those around us to help us pursue our own hopes and dreams. There is nothing we can’t do.” – Nicole Peterson ’18

“To me, International Women’s Day means that we all come together to reflect on the achievements women of the past, the progress of the women today and the hope for further progress for women in the future, as well as empowering each other to be the best that we can be!” – Katey Kohler ’18

“To me, International Women’s Day is a day to celebrate all the women who have come before me and all the women who have paved the way for me professionally and in society. It is because of these women that I am receiving a competitive education and know that I will be a respected woman in the workforce once I begin my career. I think on International Women’s Day women everywhere should realize their potential and the potential of those women around them!” – Jenna Schweigler ’19

“International Women’s Day is about celebrating and supporting other women. We should celebrate another woman’s success the way we would celebrate our own, because another woman’s success story will pave the way for all women. I am confident in my professional success because of the strong, inspiring ladies that I surround myself with. International Women’s Day is a look towards the future and all of the success we will have.”Megan Salavantis ’17

What does International Women’s Day mean to you? Let us know on our Twitter!

Kristen Perrone is a Siena College Class of 2018 alumna. She studied English during her time at Siena.