Diana King – Assistant Dean to the School of Liberal Arts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

With her passion for helping students and enthusiasm about everything study abroad related, Diana King is one of the most involved and talented people here at Siena College.  As her intern, I have personally had the privilege of watching Diana interact with students from all over campus and it truly is an inspiration to see her do everything she can do help those that need it. The School of Liberal Arts wouldn’t be the same without her and neither would the Siena Community.  I am very honored to have worked with her this year and to have been able to interview her!

Number of Years at Siena: 13

Favorite Food: Gnocchi with marinara sauce and parmesan cheese

Favorite Flower: daffodils and sunflowers

HC Siena: To start off, where are you from?

DK: I’m local! I’m from Colonie, NY.

HC Siena: Can you tell me about your journey to Siena? Is there anything specific that led you into the field of higher education?

DK: Well, I was a stay-at-home mom for many years and my oldest son Ryan decided he wanted to go to Siena for college. I knew that working for the school would come with some tuition help, so I first got a job in the Admissions office answering phones! After working there for a couple of years, I was moved to the Chaplain’s office for awhile and then to the School of Liberal Arts as the Office Coordinator. I was promoted to the Assistant Dean of the School of Liberal Arts about two years ago. As the Office Coordinator, I tended to work with more budget information and heads of the departments, so I didn’t have a whole lot of interaction with students until I became the Assistant Dean. It wasn’t until I took this position and started advising students that I realized what students really needed and this position has really allowed me to help them as much as I can. I never expected to be in a position like this, because I’m more on the management and business side of things but I absolutely love working with the students.

HC Siena: What’s the best part working in the School of Liberal Arts? What’s the most difficult?

DK: The best part about working in the School of Liberal Arts is the team that I’m able to work with each day. It’s a unique office dynamic, but there’s no unnecessary chatter or gossip and everyone gets along so well. I really would never want to be in another office other than this one! The most difficult part about working in the School of Liberal Arts is when I have students coming to see me that are totally stressed about their classes or schedules or study abroad.  I want to be able to help them find a solution, and when I can’t right away, that can be very challenging.

HC Siena: As your intern, I have seen you work with all of the Study Abroad students in the School of Liberal Arts and basically perform miracles! What is that like?

DK: First of all, I love working with Study Abroad students because it feels like I’m travelling the world with them! As I go to the different university websites to look at classes and requirements, I have to help students plan their credits so that they can transfer back to Siena. I want to put study abroad students in an environment where they won’t have to do all sorts of extra work when they come home. I always tell my study abroad students that you are in that particular country to study and to keep doing so, but also to make sure that you are enjoying yourself. I really feel like I am able to go on this journey with them! I also work closely with the team in the Study Abroad office and together, we try to coordinate a student’s course of study, whether it’s a Liberal Arts major or minor, with the best possible places to travel to

HC Siena: What would you consider to be the most rewarding part of working here at Siena and why?

DK: I really do love the fact that the college itself is a Franciscan Catholic tradition school. I just really feel that the overall campus feel is so warm and welcoming. Everyone says hi to one another and everyone is respectful of the campus and each other. Siena has to be one of the top institutions that I know of because of the amazing opportunities that students have here and it really makes me proud to be a part of something like that.  

HC Siena: If you could travel anywhere, where would it be and why?

DK: I’d love to go back to Italy! The last time my husband and I were in Italy, we were originally going to see the house where my mother lived, but the family I had living in Rome at the time became ill and weren’t able to go with us. Seeing the house and the town where my mother grew up is something I have always wanted to do.

Julia Lowney is a Siena College Class of 2018 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied English and also minored in Marketing and Writing and Communications.