emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Deck your Dorm with Holiday Cheer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

With November quickly coming to its end, the most wonderful time of the year is already in full swing.  The holiday dorm-decorating season has finally begun!  It’s never too early to hang up a stocking or break out the hot cocoa, and before you know it we’ll all be heading home to celebrate the season with our families.  So let’s get to decking the halls, decking out our dorms, and spreading Siena cheer!  Here are some simple, fun, and super cute ways to deck the halls in a dash! 

1. Make a festive holiday/winter break countdown

As winter break draws near, making a countdown calendar adds to the excitement of the season.  It’s a great motivator to get through finals. Add some festive cheer by your desk to remind you how close you are to going home for the holidays!

A cute countdown calendar can be made from different colored Post-It notes, arranged in shapes like Christmas trees or snowflakes.  You can number each note according to the days left of school, and cross them off or remove the notes during your countdown.  Another fun countdown I’ve enjoyed has been drawing Olaf from Frozen on my whiteboard.  He is the perfect cheerleader to help me get through finals week, as he reminds me how many days I have left.

2. Surprise your friends with dorm tags

Create adorable dorm tags of reindeers and snowmen using ink and your fingerprints. This idea is perfect for RAs looking to deck the halls with new winter door tags.  It makes for a fun surprise for your roommate or best friend to find when she gets home after a long day of classes.  You can also use this idea for holiday cards or gift tags, adding that homemade touch to all your gifts.

3. Decorate with Green and Gold

Show off your pride for Siena by incorporating green and gold in your decor.  Already popular holiday colors, look for ornament bulbs, wrapping paper, and garland in green and gold.  My favorite holiday decor has always been my miniature Christmas tree, and I was so excited when I found green and gold ornament bulbs to make it the perfect tree for a Siena Saint.

4. Make a Target run

Grab your besties and head to Target for a holiday shopping trip!  The perfect place to find all the cutest decorations, don’t forget to stop at the Dollar Deals before heading to the holiday aisle.  Target is always full of holiday cheer and is the perfect place to find the best gift sets and deals.  After stocking up on decorations and goodies, finish off the perfect shopping trip with your favorite holiday drink from Starbucks.

5. Host a Holiday Movie and Spa Night

Once your room has been transformed into a holiday hideaway, invite the girls over for some holiday treats, pedicures, and movies.  Tune into ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas for all of your holiday favorites.  Enjoy hot cocoa and snack on caramel pretzel turtles and Grinch fruit kabobs, then surprise your friends with their own pedicure kit. Pinterest has great ideas for easy and festive gifts, like this absolutely adorable “For Your MistleToes” gift bag!

Emily Roehl is a Siena College Class of 2017 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Accounting with minors in Computer Science and Information Systems.