How to Add a Fun Pop of Color to Your Green or Hazel Eyes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

By: Stephanie Smith

1. The first step is to prime the eye lid with a paint pot or concealer. If you are willing to splurge, try the MAC paint pot in your skin tone. For a cheaper option, Maybelline concealer stick does a great job. Cover the entire lid with a flesh toned matte shadow.

To create this look I collaborated with aspiring makeup artist Laura Hilliard. Her creativity and experience with shadows and liner produced a look that is unique, yet wearable. Foxy from the Urban Decay Naked 2 pallet was used in this look, although any basic matte shade will work. This step is important because it creates an even canvas to blend the other colors used.

If you forgo this step, your shadow may become uneven and harder to blend because of the texture of the concealer or paint pot. Begin sketching out the crease with a small fluffy blending brush and pink tone eyeshadow.

2. After you apply the pink, go in with a darker pink in the same area to deepen the color. To apply the darker pink with more precision, use a smaller brush. Then, use a large fluffy blending brush to mix these two colors together seamlessly.

Hilliard states that “any pink tones will suffice. You want to choose a color that you are comfortable with. If you want to challenge yourself, try more pigmented shades.” Blend as much as you would like, then pat on a matte brown to the outer corner of the eyelid with a small shading brush. “This is the most important step. Creating any eye look requires the colors to flow together. You shouldn’t be able to tell exactly where one starts and stops with a look like this.” Blend into your crease and outer corner with the large fluffy blending brush. This adds depth and shadow to your eye to make it look larger.

3. If a darker look is desired, add black. Begin with a small amount of black and apply more as you go so that it is easier to blend and no harsh lines are created. Apply gold shade to the entire lid so that it blends lightly into the other colors and there are no harsh lines.

In this example, we used half baked from the naked 2 palette. Add a highlight to the inner corner of the eye with either your finger tip or a small shading brush. To add even more drama to the look, create a winged liner. The product used here is stilla stay all day black liner.

A helpful tip to create the perfect wing without smudges or smears is to place tape at the same angle as your bottom eye lid to your eyebrow tail. Add the liner, remove the tape, and you will have a perfect wing.

4. Lastly, apply mascara to your bottom and top lashes. If desired, use false lashes. Ardell and Kiss supply great options at your local stores.

I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole