Wrestling with Writer’s Block

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

We all know the struggle of staring at a blank document. Writer’s block is inevitable whether it’s a term paper, article, blog post, poem, or story. There are times when words turn into mush and we can’t find the right combination of words.

Why does it happen?

Reasons vary, but common ones include:

• Lack of direction. Words don’t flow when you are unclear on what you want to say. You may be unsure of your thesis statement, argument, or the message you want to convey. Other times, you simply don’t know enough about the topic.

• Perfectionism. You have a vision for how your first draft will turn out. Every line must be just right before it even hits the paper. You’re caught up in trying to craft the perfect sentence that you end up not writing at all.

• Poor health. Your mind and body are battling fatigue, stress, or illness. You have limited energy for more demanding tasks like writing.    

What can you do?

Unfortunately, there isn’t a “one-solution-fixes-all” approach. Here are some things to try:

• Find your golden hour. Is there a certain time of the day when you work best? It helps to know your internal body clock to optimize productivity. When possible, schedule your writing sessions when your mind and body are at its peak. Work hard, but work smart too.

• Brainstorm and plan. If you have a clear picture of the content you want to convey, expressing it becomes easier. Write your ideas in bullet points, mind maps, or any method to let your ideas out. You can also create an outline to structure your thoughts. Writing becomes less daunting when you break it into smaller steps.

• Research and reflect. Writing isn’t always the problem; lack of information is. You may be stuck because you genuinely don’t know what to say. Do more research, reevaluate your goals, and think more clearly about the subject.

• Check in with your body. Did you eat and drink water? Your body needs fuel to function. Walking, running, or stretching can also clear your mind. You’ve probably heard the claim that exercise improves your cognitive abilities. If it’s good for your brain, it must help with writing too.

• Eliminate distractions. Close those unnecessary tabs and put the phone away. I find it helpful to leave my phone in a different room or tucked away in a shelf or drawer. There are also apps and browser extensions that help limit your time on certain websites.

• Write out of sequence. You may get caught in brainstorming a catchy opening. Try starting with the middle where your main ideas will be. Alternatively, you can start with the ending and work backwards.

• Free write. With a busy schedule, you may not have the time to wait for the perfect setting or mental state. The deadline is looming and you need to put your ideas on paper. Just write a stream of thoughts in order to let the ideas flow. You can revisit it for grammar, flow, and precision. Write now, edit later.

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa