The Worst Parts About Having a Crush in Your Twenties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

I automatically associate the word “crush” with my elementary school self, who walked around with a boy from class for one day and suddenly felt like a love expert. This girl knew what crushes were, knew what to do when you had a crush, and knew what to do when you were being crushed on. Crushes exist beyond the school playground and they remain a possible threat to all those with a short attention span like mine who, in adulthood, can be overwhelmed with even the smallest crush. Assuming your crush does not know of your case of infatuation (to all of those out there thinking about how their crush is the person they are currently dating: you really need to get off this page because THIS IS NOT MEANT FOR YOU), here is a list of the worst parts of having a crush while in your twenties:

1. Being an adult.
To be clear, being an adult is pretty much the worst part of anything while in your twenties, but when it comes to crushes, suddenly teasing a classmate on the playground is no longer socially acceptable behaviour (don’t even get me started on why I think universities should have playgrounds for the dishevelled students). Chances are your crush is someone who you work with or you go to school with, and you are expected to act like a normal adult human around them. Making small talk turns into the most strenuous task you have ever endured but it goes hand in hand with being an adult, so get ready to repress your nervousness and chat about the rain.

2. Doing math.
So if you are 21 and he is 28, will you catch a case of oldness by being around him? Elementary school was neatly organized into age groups. Being twenty-something, having a crush on someone who is the exact same age as you seems like pure luck and suddenly you are having to contemplate how old is too old and how young is too young. 

3. Maintaining your morals.
There may be a couple times while in your twenties in which you find yourself having a crush on someone who you really shouldn’t be staring at so much. I’m not just talking about that crush on your professor (though we have all been there), I am talking about when you find yourself having a crush on your friend’s crush, your friend’s ex-significant other, or, on occasion, your friend’s current significant other. You repress, but I think we should all take a moment to join in a mass exaggerated sigh, because lets face it: a crush that you can’t talk about is the worst.

4. Making decisions.
Your teens (especially that time you went for the “bad boy” when you were eighteen) have led to this moment: you must determine whether you should actually pursue your crush. My elementary school self would answer this with a definitive “YES,” but sometimes you can have a crush that you know should not be anything more than a crush. Assuming your crush is not your best friend’s current significant other, you may not have a lot in your way from pursuing your crush. It’s perfectly okay to decide not to pursue as long as that decision is not determined purely out of fear. If you already know that you and your crush are not compatible or perhaps you just don’t have the time to pursue any relationship, then that is okay.

Despite all the hideousness that having a crush in your twenties induces, this phenomenon carries some greatness. Elementary school crushes never usually amounted to anything, but now that you have the age and wisdom of being in your twenties, you might possibly actually make things work with your crush. If you read this list with the picture of a particular face in your mind the entire time or with a name blinking in bright flashing letters across your brain, then I dare you to go and talk to that person today. I will personally buy you a shot if you do.

Taylor is a fourth year undergraduate student at Simon Fraser University. She is acquiring her BA, with a major in World Literature and an extended minor in Visual Arts, while currently residing in Surrey, British Columbia.