What I Would Do If I Was Smooth AF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Have you ever stopped and wondered what it would be like if you were super smooth? And no, I am not referring to a smooth cheek, a smooth ride, or smooth wood. Instead, I’m talking about the free-from-difficulties kind of smooth, better known as an aesthetic of attitude, behavior, component, appearance and style that is generally admired. Personally, my expression of admiration towards these types of people has always been, and always will be, awe-inspiring.

Now, for you super smooth people, this may not be the article for you, because clearly you are already effortlessly cool. But if you’re anything like me, you reside more on the awkward side of the cool-spectrum (let’s call it). And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, aside from being relatively socially incompetent. You may not even be that awkward, but you like to think you are. After all, it’s really the only way you can explain your long pauses, all around clumsiness, and social anxiety.

So, you’re awkward! Welcome to the club. We’re not confident on Wednesdays.

But have you ever imagined what it would be like it you were, just like, incredibly and formidably smooth? Think about it. What would you do?

Well, I definitely know what I would do.

Emulate Confidence

At the end of the day, people are attracted to confidence. I swear I hear, “confidence is sexy,” more and more these days. And because confidence is something you either have or you don’t, the latter aren’t radiating that attractive, sexy quality. So, with that being said, if I was smooth I would definitely emulate confidence (and be sexy as hell – sorry mom.)

Compliment Everyone

I absolutely love complimenting people. However, more often than not, my social anxiety gets in the way of me verbalizing my admiration. If I was smooth AF, however, I would most definitely go out of my way to complement the people around me (without seeming creepy.) Like hey stranger, that color really brings out your eyes (now, I know that sounds creepy, but it really shouldn’t. Regardless, the smoothness would eradicate any off-putting feelings.)

Flirt

If you have identified as an awkward person, there is a very good likelihood that a) you either don’t know how to flirt, b) you’re really bad at it, or c) you are an anomaly and actually can. Personally, when I flirt, I giggle (more than I should), and try to diffuse conversation in an attempt to get out of the situation as fast as possible. Why would I want that, you ask? Well, I am convinced that the more time someone spends with me, the more time they have to realize just how boring I am. Therefore, I try my best (and fail) to be cute for 5 minutes (max), then get the hell out. With that being said, if I was able to hold a conversation for more than 5 minutes without bringing up the weather, I definitely wouldn’t be single (hopefully). Plus, I could get all the free drinks at the bar, so…

Talk My Way Out of Tickets

If I was super smooth, confident, AND could flirt, I would utilize these abilities (let’s use the word ability, because it sounds supernatural almost) to talk my way out of tickets. I would simply use the charm, smile, and my work there would be done.

Speak Up

We all have opinions, on a lot of different issues, but sometimes it is easier said than done to speak up. So, if I was smooth AF I would freely and confidently communicate my ideas and beliefs in an emotionally and mature way. (Instead of clamming up for fear of saying the wrong thing or stepping on someone’s toes.)

Interact in Class

Speaking up in your everyday life will emulate confidence, so just think what speaking up in class would do! For me, I absolutely hate raising my hand in class. Why? Because it sucks. I learn just as much from listening to everyone else talk, as I would if I contributed. With this being said, on the rare occasion a specific topic is being discussed that I am passionate about, of course I want to contribute. Therefore, if I didn’t have that invisible hand on my shoulder, holding me back, I would most definitely speak up, share my insight, and not cry while doing it.

Be Graceful

If your completely at the end of the awkward spectrum, there is a greater likelihood that you are… uncoordinated. So, just imagine what you could accomplish and how suave you’d look if you weren’t constantly tripping over your own feet. What would I do if I was a tad more graceful? Probably not fall walking up the stairs so much (it’s a problem.)

Be Socially Competent/Tactful

Awkwardness is an intriguing notion. It seems as though you are either confident or awkward, while there are some who consider themselves somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. If you are tactful, you have a knack for saying the right thing at the right time. Not to say all you awkward people are rude or careless, but sometimes our inability to speak up comes across as crass. In the event of suddenly being ridiculously smooth, I would definitely speak up without fear of tripping over my own words or saying the wrong thing.  

If you fall somewhere on the awkward side of the cool-spectrum, you probably don’t speak up much, but still have a lot to say. So, just imagine what you’d be like if all of a sudden you were incredibly, unbelievably, astronomically smooth AF. What would you do? Would you speak up? Would you use your charm to get people to do your homework? Would you go to the waterpark? (Get it? Cause you’re super smooth, allowing for an even, uninterrupted movement of flow. My friend told me that joke… this is not my fault.)

Now I know that suddenly being cool, calm, and collected is much easier said than done. But what you manifest is before you. It’ll take time, and a lot of practice, but if you want to be cool, just do it. Emulate confidence, compliment a stranger or a friend, tell your crush you like them, and we can work on the whole tripping over your own feet thing. In the meantime, take control of your life and imagine that feeling – having the self-confidence and fearlessness to do anything you set your mind to. 

Skye Mandin is a Communications major at Simon Fraser University who is working towards a minor in everything. She enjoys long walks on the beach, running in the rain, chocolate milk, and good company. She plans to one-day travel the world in order to get immersed in culture, architecture, love, and adventure.