Q&A with Jenny Helman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Meet environmental geography major, Jenny Helman! Not only is Jenny passionate, intelligent, and eco-conscious (she has worked with SFU’s Sustainability Office in educating others about sustainability and the Zero Waste initiative), but her offbeat sense of humour and down-to-earth personality (get it?) make her a great friend. Read on to learn more about this cutie, whose preferred pastimes include “hoarding books and lipsticks, jumping into puddles, and inhaling white chocolate mochas.”

(Side note: No, Jenny is not related to Richard Hellman, founder of the popular mayonnaise brand. I vaguely remember asking her this once. Her response: “I think the mayo has two L’s.”)

The basics:

Year: 4th
Major: Environmental geography
Hometown: White Rock
Relationship Status: “My boyfriend and I have been putting up with each other for almost 2 ½ years.”

What we want to know:

List three traits that draw you to other people.
“Energy, openness, and making really punny jokes. (Is that even a trait? I’m counting it anyway.)”

Favorite breakfast food?
“My mom’s potato pancakes. Somehow they’re always soggy when I make them. She says it’s because I use too much onion, but I think it’s just because moms cook everything better.”

What’s your dream career?
“I’d really like to work in sustainable resource planning or land use planning, but I don’t know if I really have a dream career sorted out yet.”

What’s your biggest guilty pleasure?
“Marathoning Kitchen Nightmares with some fresh-from-the-oven brownies.”

Name one fact acquaintances or new friends might be surprised to learn about you.
“I played rugby for a couple of years in high school.”

If you could adopt any accent of your choosing, what would it be?
“I think Icelandic would be cool. I don’t actually know what it sounds like, but I feel like no one would ever guess what it is.”

If you were given a pet goldfish, what would you name it?
“Boots, I think. My cat is named Socks, so they would match.”

What is something you wish more people cared about?
“I wish people were more aware of where their garbage and other waste ends up. I think if people were more aware of what happens to their coffee cup when they throw it away, or their old electronics when they recycle them, it would make a big difference to how they consume.”

What are you looking forward to most right now?
“I have some cookies in the oven, so that’s pretty exciting.” 

Photo courtesy of Steven Shepherd.

Former SFU student.