My Top 5: Must-Have Travel Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Whether you’re planning your next road trip or arrangements for a jet-setting European vacation I’ve come up with my top 5 travel essentials regardless of where you plan on going.

Adaptors

One of the most useful but commonly forgotten items of mine I fail to pack when travelling to Europe is an adaptor! Because American and European appliances run on a different voltage, adaptors are essential for charging all of your devices. Adaptors can be found at most drugstores, and if you forget to purchase one prior to your trip Boots drugstore, commonly found around Europe sells them for a great price!

Sleep Accessories

For planes and nights spent in a room full of people, sleep masks and earplugs are a great way to ensure a good night’s sleep. As they become increasingly popular, brands are improving upon the design of sleeping masks with features such as cooling inserts, headache reducing, and light blocking. For fun and quirky designs, check out Mytagalongs where you can find a variety of travel essentials in addition to sleep masks.

Medicine Kit

A medicine kit is a great way to prepare for any trip. New climates, jet lag, and the common headache are all factors that can affect the way you feel. Though everyone’s essential list may differ, here are some of the most common medicines to be used:

The Essential Travel Medicine Kit

• Ibuprofen or acetaminophen

• Non-drowsy antihistamine

• Probiotics

• Motion sickness tablets

• Natural sleep aids, such as melatonin

Maps.me

The maps app on your smartphone is always helpful for getting you from A to B, but when you don’t have the luxury of using your local data plan in international destinations downloading Maps.me is the answer. Maps.me is a free, offline navigation map that has the same features as the one embedded into your phone. For use, download the city map you wish to view. When requiring a map for a different city you must go to your downloads within the app and select the city you require for direction.

Moisturizer

Whether you are enduring the frigid temperatures of Alaska or soaking up the hot, Hawaiian rays, a good moisturizer always comes in handy. Cold, dry temperatures take a toll on our skin and it’s important to replenish all of the moisture that is lost. One of my personal favourites is Eucerin; a great, natural brand with an array of hand and body moisturizing products. Similarly, in warm, dehumidified air the skin becomes dry despite deceiving appearance of soft-looking skin. For a lightweight and budget-friendly moisturizer, try Olay Quench Daily Lotion or Olay Moisture Body Lotion.

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa