Meet Eman Osman: talented, inspring, and all-around fun girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Eman Osman lives the dream life, with an aesthetic YouTube channel, a great group of friends and overall #goals life.

Name: Eman Osman

Hometown: Edmonton, AB

Major: Communciations

Year: 2nd

Why did you choose SFU?

I chose SFU because there weren’t any prominent Communication programs in Alberta that stood out for me. I wanted to study a program that was well known, in a city that inspired me, while meeting new and interesting people! To me, Vancouver seemed like a bustling city with something excited around every corner, so I took my chances and applied.

Wow, so glad you found a place that appealed to you! How did you find out about CMNSU?

I found out about CMNSU (Communication Student Union) through Facebook. It’s crazy how social media can benefit you, as I would have had no clue that an organization like this existed!

What is your role in CMNSU?

I am the social media coordinator for CMNSU! I am in charge of regularly posting on all of our social media accounts, I receive promotional requests from other organizations and clubs, and I engage with all of our followers through our socials. The neat thing about CMNSU, however, is that I have been able to branch out and collaborate with others in their roles. Creating videos is a passion of mine, and I have taken on videography tasks for CMNSU that have allowed me to practice those skills as well. It’s awesome!

That sounds like a lot of fun! What’s memory from CMNSU or SFU so far?

Other than the late night West Mall camp outs and the common room sleepovers, I would say that my absolute favorite memory at SFU would have to be the first snow fall. This was such a dreary experience for the commuters, but for an Albertan girl, I was having the time of my life! I remember waking up to banging at my door, and my friend bursted into my room screaming that school was out. My squad and I spent the day having snow ball fights, taking snowy photos, and drinking hot chocolate in the dining hall! It was so relaxing to forget about school for one day and be a kid again, and I would definitely relive that day if I had the chance.

Besides CMNSU, how do you spend your time when you’re not in class?

When I’m not in school or working on any assignments, you’ll probably find me eating or with my friends. I’ve made it a personal mission of mine to try every chai latte in Vancouver, and i’m not even half way done but it’s a slow progression. I’m an avid seafood fan, and I’m always raving about poke or sushi (my friends hate me for it). That said, I have an amazing friend group and we love to spend all of our free time together; so much that we get sick of each other sometimes. We mainly roast each other and give questionable dating advice, but it’s all love and I couldn’t imagine myself having another crew. Other than that, I run my own Youtube channel where I produce beauty and lifestyle content. When I have the time, I’m filming and editing videos for that!

I know that you’re a server at Earls part-time, what’s it like balancing working and going to school at the same time?

Working while being a full time student is not for everyone, but it is so vital for those who need the extra cash. I’ve been an employee at Earls for over three years, and I’m thankful to have a flexible and supportive job that lets me take off time whenever I need to. One thing I learned is that school ultimately comes first, and I realized that when I had to knock a few days off of my availability to study. It’s been a little challenging, because I don’t have the extra time to work on assignments or run little errands. As well, my leisure time has reduced greatly and my YouTube channel has kind of taken a back seat, but the benefits outweigh the negative aspects! I’ve gotten to meet some really cool people, and it’s nice to socialize with people our age away from school. Plus, the server cash doesn’t hurt!  

Thank you so much for your advice! Any more advice for people that want to get involved with CMNSU or other places clubs?

If you want to be more involved in school, firstly visit clubs day. I know everyone says that, but how else are you going to get a full view of all of the clubs SFU has to offer? Whether you want to join Pre Law, Rowing, or CMNSU, stop by the booth and say hi, and ask all of the questions that you are dying to know the answers to. If you’re interested in becoming a part of CMNSU, make sure to come to all of our events and make your face known. We want to meet you! As well, it helps us out when we’re hiring and we can put a face to a name. It’s so important to make your university experience worth it, so be involved and become apart of something meaningful!

Check our Eman’s YouTube channel here! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIuM-jb3a-jg0_5LzQP_EiQ

Hi! I'm a second year in Communications student minoring in Publishing at SFU! So far, i've loved very moment of my time at SFU! I have a strong passion for writing and expanding my knowledge of the world. If you want to find more of my writing, feel free to check out my personal blog: https://sophiecummingss.wordpress.com/
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa