Main Street Daze – Shopping Local in Vancouver

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Soap and Honey and Games, oh my! Looking for something different to do this weekend? Check out Main Street, Vancouver! This funky area is home to tons of great local shops, restaurants and cafes. Take a walk down this street and get lost in all of its wonderful quirks and corners. Here are six fun little shops to wander into.

1. The Soap Dispensary (& Kitchen Staples)

The Soap Dispensary is a refill shop that specializes in premium soaps, household products, personal care products, DIY ingredients and tasty goodies. One side of the store includes soap and other household products while the other side focuses on both edible and non-edible kitchen staples. They support zero-waste living and the use of natural materials and encourage customers to reuse their containers and fill them with products that are sold on tap in store. This dispensary will have you feeling like you’re at Hogwarts in a potions class with all of the amazing products you can pick up and refill. With its wide selection of goodies, The Soap Dispensary is no doubt magical.

2. 8th & Main

8th & Main is an independently owned contemporary clothing store located on, you guessed it, 8th & Main. They focus on providing a wide selection of affordable clothes and accessories for both men and women. The merchandise they carry is stylish and original and the store itself is a large space with a woodsy-chic atmosphere. You definitely won’t leave empty-handed. Their products are also available on their website!  

3. Front & Company – Gift Shop

Front & Company is a consignment store that sells both new and vintage clothing and accessories. Front & Company is one of the better-known boutiques on Main Street and in recent years they have expanded to include an adjoining gift shop and a pop-up store next door! If you’re struggling to find that perfect gift for another (or even for yourself), head right on into Front & Company’s home and gift section/shop. They carry an array of gifts ranging from beautiful locally made jewellery to a set of fake stick-on moustaches! I’m not Front(in) when I say this gift shop is all the Company you will need.

4. Much and Little

This cozy boutique has an amazing selection of locally made clothing, housewares and handcrafted accessories. Pop into Much and Little to pick up products that are hand-picked and crafted with care. You’ll find things you never knew you needed like a golden cheese grater to grate your cheese in style or some fox socks to decorate your feet.

5. Main Street Honey Shoppe

This shoppe sells all things bee related. They carry a large range of different flavours of speciality honey as well as natural honeybee products including bee pollen, body care products, beeswax candles and nutritional supplements. Stop in and learn about the health benefits of many of the natural bee products they carry and take part in a honey tasting. I think it’s safe to say that the Main Street Honey Shoppe is pretty sweet!

6. Strategies Games and Hobbies

Let the games begin! This local independent game supplier carries any and every game you can think of including board games, card games, model-based games and role-playing games. Swing by to pick up a fun new game for Friday night’s games night or to pick out an enjoyable present for that upcoming birthday. They also host fun game events each month!

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa