sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Letter to my Younger Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

What would I say to myself if I were 16-years-old again? 

There are so many things that run through my head. I’m half way through my degree, and I wish time would just stop. Everything seems to be fast-paced. I can’t even catch my breath because there is so much going on. I’m writing to myself because everything will be okay.

Dear younger Diane,

First of all, don’t think that you will meet “the one” as a 16-year-old girl. There are so many people you will get to know in your lifetime. You shouldn’t worry about not having a boyfriend and having to invest all your feelings into them now. Of course, sometimes relationships suck. Having your heart broken at such a young age makes it seem like your whole world is crashing down. However, it is never the end. You will find someone to love, and you’ll definitely forget about that boy that broke your heart and made you cry today.

Partying is not everything. It might seem like that “cool” thing to do. Underage drinking isn’t that fun. It’s way more fun when you turn legal and you get to hit the clubs. It’s definitely not worth it to have your parents find out that you’re drinking illegally and get into a load of trouble. Save that for when you turn legal. Everything turns out to be more fun when you’re not breaking the law! Trust me.

Don’t go comparing yourself to others. It’s going to cause you so much stress and your self-confidence will go down the drain. You are beautiful, you are badass, and most importantly, you are YOU. Don’t beat yourself down because someone else has more achievements than you do or because you think they look better than you. You can always improve yourself. Go out and look for opportunities and never say, “I can’t,” because you CAN.

Also, listen to your parents. As cliché as it sounds, your mom is always right. When she tells you to take an umbrella with you, you better take that damn umbrella out. Why? Because every time she tells you to bring one and you don’t, it magically starts to rain. And when she tells you to bring a scarf or to wear another jacket, and you don’t, it’s magically cold outside. Remember that your parents always have your best interest in mind. They’re not getting any younger, so appreciate them while you still can.

Life is going to be hard in the future. When you’re 16, you still get to be young and not face all the problems in the world. Enjoy being carefree and young because you’re never going to be 16 again. Just because you have a small bump along the way, it doesn’t mean your life is over. Actually, it’s just starting! Life will throw curve balls at you every single day, but you’ll make your way. Keep making mistakes, but take full responsibility for them and you’ll be okay.

Yours truly,

Future Diane

Diane is currently in her third year of Political Science and Communication at SFU. She aspires to work for the United Nations one day. She is a self-proclaimed Justin Bieber fan, and adores french bulldogs. You can find her at @deechieng on Instagram and Twitter!
Deborah is an English major and Linguistics minor with a mild Peter Pan complex. She is an avid tea-drinker and shower singer whose favourite pastime is napping. Her goal in life is to one day touch Harry Styles's hair.