How to Decrease Your Carbon Footprint

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

I’m sure you’ve heard a thing or two about this little thing called C02, better known as carbon dioxide. When we talk about climate change, we tend to hear quite a lot about this naturally occurring gas that happens to be emitted at colossal levels by human activity (and is one of several greenhouse gases in our atmosphere).

But very long story short, CO2’s monstrous presence in the atmosphere is a very bad thing.

And, in fact, if we don’t work to decrease its predominant existence in our atmosphere (like, right now), we (as a species) and beyond that – the world, are in a lot of trouble.

With that being said, it would seem we are in a lot of trouble regardless, and some would argue we are actually too far gone at this point, due to ignorance. However, never say never. (I think Justin Bieber said that once). 

So, if you want to help save the world, here’s a thing (or two) you could try.

Please. 

Be Water Wise

Opt for reusable water bottles – preferably one made from glass. There are an abundant of problems created by the water bottle industry, and I’m willing to assume that you all know that plastic production is very bad for our planet. And while glass production is not without its pollution-byproducts, the impact of manufacturing glass is far less severe than plastic (or even stainless steel, for that matter). Plus, an added bonus: glass can be recycled indefinitely.

When it comes to your water usage, maybe consider taking shorter showers and turn off the tap when you’re brushing your teeth.

Just do it. 

Drive Less and Walk More

Driving and flying are two areas that, if altered, could make a significant impact on the environment. I know flying seems like a somewhat… irreplaceable travel habit, but it’s not! There is almost always a more fuel-efficient travel option, or, simply travel less (I’m sorry, but just think about mama polar bears, and her little cubs. Think about the ice caps and how THEIR HOME IS MELTING, WHICH WILL FLOOD OUR HOME –– that escalated fairly quickly, but like, baby polar bears) OR try to pick more direct routes to save on fuel. And if it’s not too much trouble, try riding your bike to work and school, or try carpooling, commuting, and walking.

An added bonus: Just think about how great your body (and the Earth) will look after that much walking

Consume Less Energy

Alter the way you see the resources that you use in your daily life. Start by living with a greater sense of awareness about how your actions, as an individual, may affect the planet. Pay attention to how often, and for long you consume heat, electricity, water, etc., and from there, try to alter your daily habits. This could mean turning off the lights when you leave a room, unplugging electronics when not in use, choosing the “energy save” option on your washing machine, or even making different choices when buying products. 

Buy Recyclable Products

Decreasing your carbon footprint can be as easy as purchasing products that are either made from recycled materials and/or have minimal packaging. 

RECYCLE

And then, recycle them! I could go on about recycling forever, so I’ll save you the lecture… this time!

But I do have to mention, there are so many recycling tools and facilities at your disposal, so take advantage of them! 

Buy Local Food

Local food usually has a lower CO2 tag attached to it. Choosing this carbon-friendly option will prove to make a difference on your climate change impact, and will help the local economy. If you want to take it a step further, remember to purchase reusable bags and avoid those pesky plastic bags at all costs. 

Switch to A Plant Based Diet

Going plant-based doesn’t necessarily mean you have to give up meat entirely. For instance, I switched to a plant based diet about five months ago, but my diet still allows for modest amounts of fish and chicken (however, I’m working towards cutting chicken out of my diet altogether. It’s hard to quit cold turkey – see what I did there?)

A plant-cased diet will help ward off diabetes, lower blood pressure, lower the chances of developing cardiovascular disease, aid in a lower body mass index, lower cholesterol, help prevent cataract and muscular degeneration, and contribute to healthy skin. Not to mention that some major detrimental environmental effects have been associated with red meat production – due to the pollution through fossil fuel usage, animal methane, effluent waste, as well as water and land consumption.

A staggering 51% of global greenhouse-gas emissions are caused by animal agriculture, according to a report published by the Worldwatch Institute.

If not anything else, switching to a plant-based diet is, perhaps, (I would argue) the best way to cut your carbon footprint in half.

I could go on forever, people! Being environmentally friendly simply means practicing a lifestyle that is better for the environment. It’s as simple as that.

It’s all about taking the small steps, and choosing alternatives that will prove to make a world of difference (pun intended). Help develop a healthier planet for future generations – for our children, and for our children’s children.

It’s our responsibility now. 

Skye Mandin is a Communications major at Simon Fraser University who is working towards a minor in everything. She enjoys long walks on the beach, running in the rain, chocolate milk, and good company. She plans to one-day travel the world in order to get immersed in culture, architecture, love, and adventure.