Guanajuato: A Must Visit Mexico… that isn’t the beach

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

In 2013, I got the opportunity to live and study in Guanajuato. A few years prior, I met a girl from Mexico through mutual friends. We probably only saw each other a handful of times, but kept in touch through social media when she went home. Additionally we had a nice visit when she came back to Vancouver in 2012. While we have only been acquaintances, Isabella invited me to come stay with her family who resided in Guanajuato—about five hours north east of Mexico City by car. Initially I thought it was crazy to go away for five weeks, leave home, leave my boyfriend at the time. However, I had this nagging feeling that I would regret not taking the opportunity and so I booked my flight, researched schools to study Spanish at and went to the bullion and got myself some pesos.

From the very beginning I was nervous. I’d gone to Europe two years prior for seven weeks with my boyfriend at the time, but this was different. It was all on me. It may sound silly, but this trip was my first time flying by myself. Before I had always followed—followed my parents, my boyfriend or friends through the airport like a sheep. Here I was on my own, flying alone to visit a friend I didn’t know very well in a foreign city where my grasp of the language wasn’t anything to write home about, especially in Spanish.

Any fears I did have were washed away when my friend met me at the airport. That’s something too worth noting—all my friends that I have made either in Mexico or here but are originally from Mexico have been some of the most welcoming people. I came across some challenges in my first few days abroad. I got a little homesick and the initial Spanish school I signed up for wasn’t what I expected. However, I did some research and quickly found a better school that was enriching, challenging and fun. I recall in one of my conversation classes we went to a local café to practice our Spanish, ordering food and chatting with my instructor and the other students.

I was forced into a pseudo Spanish immersion in the home as my friend was often at work and her mom spoke less English that I did Spanish. This while tricky for me ended up being just the push I needed. I think what’s most scary for people when they go abroad is the worry they won’t be understood, even when I am speaking in English to another English speaker there’s the fear of not being heard. It’s one of those things where if you’re not putting yourself in uncomfortable situations, likely you’re not growing. Some days were harder than others to be away from my friends, my family and my routine, but it’s still one of my trips I look back on and think ‘this is the moment I really caught the travel bug’. To this day I am still in contact with my friend, her family and all of her friends I met and welcomed me into their lives.

Guanajuato is little town that is both colourful and vibrant. There is a network of narrow streets, alleyways and tunnels to wander through and there is no shortage of culture and things to do. While I was there I went to the Teatro Juarez and saw a local ballet company’s performance of Swan Lake. I also attended an international gastronomic food festival, which was both fun and tasty experience. Read below for some of my favorite parts of the city.

Notable facts about the city and what to do

• You really cannot get lost, it’s a small town, easy to navigate

• The food is amazing and it’s different than what you find on the coast. One word: GORDITAS (pastry made with corn and stuffed with cheese, meat, potatoes or other fillings)

• Go to the steps of University of Guanajuato

• Visit Hidalgo Market — it’s the largest in the city

• If you want to learn Spanish I highly recommend Escuela Mexicana escuelamexicana.com  

Other nearby cities to check out:

• Santa Rosa — beautiful pottery, I’d highly recommend checking out this shop: http://ow.ly/iORi30fAAaW

• San Luis Potosi — excellent rompope (Mexican eggnog)

• San Miguel — amazing art galleries and eclectic shops

Scarlett is a 4th year Communication major at Simon Fraser University. While she is proud to call Vancouver home, she has quite the travel bug. Places she’s visited include: Hungary, Austria, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Italy, France, multiple cities in Mexico and a number of cities in the United States. Her favourite pastimes include: drinking tea, admiring well-kerned type and acquiring varying shades of lipstick. You can get to know her more by following her Instagram: @scarlettpoole
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa