Elisa Tallarico: Adventurer, Academic Extraordinaire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Hey Collegiates! I’m psyched to introduce to you Elisa Tallarico, a fellow returning student with an abundance of interests, passions, and travel aspirations. Enjoy our interview as she shares her life abroad and favorite foods.

Name: Elisa Tallarico

Age: 27

Faculty: Criminology

Hometown: Vancouver

Hey Elisa! Tell me a bit about yourself?

Hi! I am a returning student to Simon Fraser University completing a post baccalaureate diploma in Criminology with co-op. In 2013, I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts, majored in Political Science from SFU; however, I was unsure of the next step in the new post-university adult world I found myself now apart of. I went back and forth between a nursing career in the military and pursuing a career with the federal government in public safety. I opted for the latter and haven’t turned back since. Following graduation in 2013, I traveled and spent most of my time in Italy where I took a language course and reconnected with family throughout the country. I am a devotee of coffee, old-fashioned cocktails, crime dramas, and spinning.

What made you want to pursue a post-baccalaureate in criminology?

I originally intended to major in Criminology during my first degree but switched just before beginning my third year. Criminology is an area of study that gives an individual numerous opportunities for career growth and development. This idea combined with my interest in the topic led me to SFU’s Criminology program.

How do you find working towards your post-bach differ from getting your B.A.?

This time around, I find myself better prepared for assignments and exams. I create (and stick to) study schedules which has decreased my anxiety before exams. Overall, I find my post-bach more enjoyable than my B.A. because I now take classes out of interest and not to fulfill a requirement.

When you first went overseas, what surprised you the most about Italy?

I was the most surprised by the relaxed and easygoing pace of Italian life. I knew things would be different but I did not anticipate just how different life would be in Italy!  For example, the hours of operation did not actually mean the store would be open during those hours. It was not unusual to return to a store following the afternoon siesta and it would still be closed. I would often walk to a nearby coffee bar, and after two espressos walk back to check if the store had re-opened for the evening.

What’s on your travel bucket list?

I would love to visit Iceland in the future. I am not sure if its the landscape or the culture (or maybe both) but I have been obsessed with traveling to Iceland for sometime now. Hopefully I will cross this off my bucket list soon!

I heard you’re doing a co-op! How are you finding it?

Yes, I am currently doing a co-op term with the RCMP.  I am enjoying the experience and I am grateful for the opportunity to gain valuable work skills with this federal organization. Importantly, this co-op has given me the chance to talk to individuals who have taken different career paths within the RCMP and who have patiently answered many of my questions.

Do you have any advice for students who are unsure on how to handle the adult world?

Do not be too hard on yourself and set realistic goals! The feelings of disappointment once you have not achieved a goal can be disheartening and difficult to overcome. Instead, push forward and tackle new challenges. Also read up on the basics of personal finance!

What would your dream job be?

My dream job would to become a travel writer for Travel and Leisure magazine.

When you need to relax from your busy schedule, what are your favorite things to do?  

One of my favorite places in Vancouver is False Creek. A walk around False Creek followed by lunch or drinks with friends is one of my favorite ways to spend a day away from the usual stresses of work and school.

And finally…what does your perfect day consist of?

My perfect day would include a hike with friends followed by gelato!

Just for Fun Section:  

Favorite cocktail: An old-fashioned

Favorite Crime drama: Criminal Minds

Favorite SFU class you’ve taken: CRIM 413

Favorite Restaurant in Vancouver: Oru

Favorite Meal to Cook: Anything for dessert!

Favorite coffee drink: Cappuccino

Thanks for chatting with us, Elisa!

Danika is a undergraduate at Simon Fraser University. She's aquiring a BA in criminology and a minor in french.