A Decade Later: 6 Ways The Kardashians Have Influenced Pop Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

By: Ravina Talhan

Recently the Kardashians aired their 10-year special. That’s right, the Kardashians have been apart of our lives for 10 years. A decade of one of the most popular and longest running reality shows ever.

Throughout these 10 years the Kardashians have climbed their way up the social ladder and have become some of the most famous celebrities in the world. Whether you hate them or love them you can’t help but keep up with them. The Kardashians have become a household name and have influenced pop culture in various ways, causing all eyes to be on them.

So how have the Kardashians influenced pop culture?

1. Selfies!

From their constant Snapchats to their Instagram posts, the Kardashians are no strangers to selfies. In fact, Kim even has a book of selfies. The Kardashians are undoubtedly the Queens of selfies and have gone to social media to flaunt their perfect pictures with the use of filters, angles and lighting so perfect it makes everyone jealous.

The Kardashians are definitely not shy when it comes to their seflies; Kylie’s constant bikini selfies and Kim’s famous nude selfies reveal that they are not intimidated to share every part of themselves.

Although Kim’s nude selfies have gotten a lot of backlash, she is bringing up issues of body shaming- as all the Kardashians have- and taken a stand on the concept of shaming the diverse bodies of women. The nude selfies have become a part of the Kardashian brand and selfies are taking over the world!  

3. Contouring

We all want those perfectly sculpted cheekbones that the Kardashians are famous for and the answer to that is: contouring! Although the Kardashians did not invent contouring, their perfectly sculpted faces have made us all jealous and now we know how to achieve that model Kardashian face. Thank you Kardashians my cheekbones will always have that extra definition thanks to you!

3. Makeup Kits

Since the Kardashians normalized the concept of contouring, what better business step is there than to introduce makeup to achieve that Kardashian look? Kris Jenner, the business savvy momager, took the Kardashians famous features and turned them into a huge business market.

The older Kardashian sisters started out with a makeup line but it was youngest sister Kylie Jenner that took that biggest plunge into the makeup industry and blew up the makeup world. What do you do when people are noticing your new lip enhancements? You create a lip kit so everyone can achieve that look. Kylie’s lip kits sold out within minutes thus creating a makeup empire. Kim K followed suit and introduced her own contour kits, so now we can all look like Kardashians…right?

4.  Fashion

Two words…. Fashion. Icons.

5. Transgender Talks

67-year-old Caitlyn Jenner’s transition has created a discussion around transgender issues. When someone with a platform like the Kardashians is able to break out and discuss issues that are impacting so many people, it really is revolutionary. The Kardashian’s fully supported this transition and were not shying away from the issue when discussing it on their show.

These trans issues that many people face everyday were in the forefront and allowed for discussion around the topic. Although she could have chosen to keep this journey more private, Caitlyn Jenner chose to speak out about her transition and create a platform where these issues could be addressed on a large scale and raise awareness around a important social issue.

6. Feminism & Family Values

The Kardashians are a family of independent women and have created a wave of feminism. They stand for female equality and show that women can be just as -or even more- business savvy than men and have created an empire for themselves destroying any stereotypes around women. They have been around for 10 years, getting more powerful and having an influence in popular culture and there seems to be no stop in sight. The mostly female family shows family values and reveals that family is the strongest bond you can have. These women are truly powerful and have a major influence on pop culture.  

SaveSaveSaveSave

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa