5 Things to Do on Galentines Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Who needs to celebrate Valentine’s Day when you have Galentine’s Day? If you don’t have a Valentine, don’t fret. You have friends, remember? It’s the perfect chance to get your best girl friends to all hang out and celebrate each other.

Here are 5 things that you and your gals should do!

1. Movie marathon

The best way to celebrate Galentine’s Day is to get with all your girlfriends and watch a chick flick. It’s time to whip out the tub of ice-cream and eat it all. It’s the time cry over all our exes and celebrate being single. I usually love watching sad movies and being emotionally invested in them, so I cry my butt off. May I suggest The Fault in Our Stars? Or even Titanic! If sad movies are not the way to go, I definitely suggest watching Sex and the City or Mean Girls over and over again.

2. Treat yourself

And by that, I mean shopping. Sure, we may well be broke university students at the time, but shopping with your gals is a great activity. Whether it’s make up, clothing, electronics, we all need to splurge in a little while to make ourselves feel better. 

3. Wine night

If you’re feeling a little classier, a wine night is great to do with your girls. Take out the classic little black dress and slip that on. Also, I would suggest having some sort of cheese board so you all won’t starve to death. Then put on some Frank Sinatra and proceed to let him serenade you to getting wine drunk. 

4. Get pampered

Grab your girls and have a spa day at home! There are so many DIY ideas for facemasks and scrubs. Also, it’s less expensive than visiting an actual spa.  Set the atmosphere by lighting some candles, dim the lights, and playing some relaxing nature music. 

5. Gift exchange

When Valentine’s Day rolls along, I get low-key jealous of girls that receive flower and gifts from their boyfriends. I’m sure most single ladies are with me on this one. Why not do a gift exchange with your girlfriends? Knowing your besties, you can all get each other thoughtful and funny gifts. 

Diane is currently in her third year of Political Science and Communication at SFU. She aspires to work for the United Nations one day. She is a self-proclaimed Justin Bieber fan, and adores french bulldogs. You can find her at @deechieng on Instagram and Twitter!