5 Clothing Items to Resign This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

With spring arriving early this year, it’s time to think about what this change means for your wardrobe. Naturally, winter coats and heavy sweaters will be stowed away in favor of shorts and sandals, but which wardrobe items purchased last spring should you reconsider for this season? Here are the style choices we should resign this spring.

1. The skater skirt.
These skirts seemed to be everything you could ever want from a skirt in spring time: basic, simple, easy to dress up or down, convenient to layer with, and flattering. Here’s the thing, though: these skirts lied to you. Chances are, you have one in your closet and can’t actually remember the last time you wore it. There is a reason for this. Temptation arises at the sight of these skirts as they can be found for a low price at many stores, but this means that these skirts are usually made from a polyester blend that can often not be the most flattering. It’s time we stop kidding ourselves when we say that we will wear the skater skirt daily. We won’t. We shouldn’t.

2. The skort.
I remember when it was Andi Dorfman’s season of The Bachelorette and every sunny destination was accompanied with a skort. Generally I find skorts intimidating. Why are they even necessary? Frankly, when summertime arrives, the idea of having an extra layer of cloth over shorts just seems a bit ridiculous. It will be hot. I will either want a breezy skirt or light and practical shorts. This in-between business is unnecessary.

3. Anything with lace.
Lace is romantic and delicate and slightly reminiscent of my grandmother’s wedding dress. Lace had its time, but the overuse of lace in fashion has caused this fabric to lose its appeal. For lace to regain some of its sexy qualities, it needs to gain back mystique. Lace needs a break so that we can better appreciate it at another time in the future. Anyway, I imagine this spring will be filled with more practical fabrics than the fragile lace.

4. Tight-fitting crop tops.
You probably bought these crop tops two to three years ago, but it is time to move on. These tops may seem like they are helping your skin breath and keep cool, but they are actually tight enough that sweat seems to lock the shirt to your skin and collect even more heat to your body.

5. The LBD.
I know what you are thinking: the little black dress is a staple. And I couldn’t agree more, but when purging the closet you need to also take a moment to treat yourself. Go out and buy a new little black dress, because if you are anything like me, then you have probably been relying on the same little black dress for a couple years too long.

Let yourself get excited about new fashion choices and have fun with new looks this spring. Being flexible and adventurous in your clothing choices may bring these attitudes to other aspects of your life. Your wardrobe may just be the first step to embracing a new season.

Taylor is a fourth year undergraduate student at Simon Fraser University. She is acquiring her BA, with a major in World Literature and an extended minor in Visual Arts, while currently residing in Surrey, British Columbia.