This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

We all want to be healthier, but sometimes it’s hard to know where to start. Can I get a 6 pack while eating pizza? You sure can, just head to the liquor store. Corny jokes aside, living a healthy lifestyle doesn’t need to be a drastic change, we all can start small. Let’s all strive to be a little bit healthier each day!

Create the habit of cooking your own meals.

Ordering take-out is an easy and efficient way to satisfy your hunger, but also drain your wallet. Cooking allows you to control the salt content, make healthy substitutes, and allows for portion control. Plus, learning how to cook is a great life skill to have!

Replace soda with water.

There are zero health benefits to soda and countless benefits to drinking water!

If that’s too hard, then switch out one soda, coffee, or juice with green tea.

Starting with baby steps will lead to positive results!

Wear sunscreen everyday

You still need to wear sunscreen in the winter! Even on a cloudy day, the UV intensity might be enough to damage your skin. Tip: buy a daily moisturizer with SPF.

Avoid tanning beds

The increased risk of melanoma associated with tanning bed use is 59% for people whose first exposure to artificial UV rays in a tanning bed occurred before age 35 years.  That risk increases with the number of tanning bed sessions per year. Golden brown skin isn’t worth getting cancer for.

End your crappy relationship sooner rather than later.  

Life is short and you deserve to be treated right. Bad relationships can have a negative impact on your mental and physical health. Bad relationships can raise your stress levels, lower your self-esteem, and could potentially cause you to adopt some unhealthy coping habits. Save yourself the trouble and cut toxic people out of your life for good!

Make some healthy food swaps

You don’t have to give up your favorite foods to be healthy. Check out these tips for healthy food swaps. Hey, maybe you’ll discover some new favorite foods!

STRAIGHTEN YOUR BACK RIGHT NOW

Do it every time you catch yourself slouched over. Nobody wants back problems.

Eat your vegetables

That’s right, listen to your mom. Eating your greens lowers your risk of cardiovascular diseases and type 2 diabetes, protects you from certain types of cancer, and is rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals.

Be grateful

Life has it’s ups and downs. Focusing on the positives and showing your gratitude enhances your long-term well-being. So go ahead, and be #blessed.

Image Source

Danika is a undergraduate at Simon Fraser University. She's aquiring a BA in criminology and a minor in french. 
Terri is currently a fourth-year Communication major at Simon Fraser University and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SFU. Hailing from Hong Kong and raised in Vancouver, she has grown to love the outdoors and mountains of BC. Her favourite pastimes are reading historical fiction, hiking, lying on the beach drinking mojitos and attempting to snowboard. You can get to know her more on Instagram and Twitter at @terriling.