samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Giving Students a Voice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Photo by: Baltimore Sun

On April 10and 12, The SFA Progressive Student Coalition and League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) hosted a voter registration drive inside the student center in order to encourage students to be involved in both local and state elections. The executive members of the organizations were officially deputized in order to register students. 

While the goal was to have a large number of students registered, it is also very important to these organizations that the students of SFA are politically involved and are voting. Besides registering new voters, those who were registered in different areas had the opportunity to change their address so that they will be able to vote in Nacogdoches county and not have to go home in order to participate in elections. 

This event was also a fantastic learning opportunity for the leaders of the organizations. For many members, this was their first event as voter registrars, and they gained a great amount of experience. The organizations plan to hold more registration drives in the future and will continue to promote student involvement.

Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.