Tips for Freshman Year from Sewanee’s Rising Sophomores

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Ladies and gentlemen, we’re halfway through summer and before we know it we’ll be dropping off our Sewanee angels and back on our beloved mountain. So in celebration of surviving freshman year and in anticipation of a new class of Sewanee students, we asked our fellow members of Class of 2018 what tips they would give incoming freshman. From the serious to the silly, here’s your soon-to-be sophomores’ do’s and don’t’s for freshman year.  

“Sewanee is amazing– explore as much as possible!”

“Ice cream is available every day– however, it may not be the best idea to eat said ice cream for every meal of the day.”

“Always rally, never take a nap.”

“I’m begging you, for your back’s sake, please get a mattress topper.”

“Use a condom.”

“Heated bathroom floors are nice.”

“Don’t even try to study in your dorm, you’ll never get anything done.”

“Stirlings is the most magical place on earth, but it also costs real money and it is absolutely possible to blow all of your bank account there.”

“Coordinate with your roommate on move-in day so that you’re not both trying to haul your stuff in a teeny-tiny room at the same time..”

“Dartying is a whole different ballgame.”

“It’s never a bad idea to set roommate boundaries early on. You’re pretty much living on top of your roommate, so I promise it helps in the long run!”

“Don’t drink the punch.”

“Drink the punch.”

“Keep an open mind!”

“Always, always bunk your beds.” (never)

“Liquor jacket may be a catchy phrase, but surprisingly if you go out without a real jacket you will get pneumonia.”

“PRE family is the best kind of family!”

“The exit signs in your dorms are actually expensive so pretending to dunk on them is not the best idea even if it does seem like a good plan at the time.”

“Get a pair of shoes with traction for when it snows so you don’t eat s*** every time you walk to class in the winter.”

“Never email a professor back after you’ve gone out.”

“Do not fall asleep in the shower on the drain and flood your entire suite.” (it does happen)

“Oddly enough you can get a parking ticket while you are still in the car.”

“Don’t overreact to your drunken–or sober– mistakes.”

“Keep your door open. It’s actually a great way to meet people!”

“The freshman fifteen is very real.”

“Being someone’s Pub Daddy is a great way to make friends!” (Pub Daddy definition: offering to buy someone’s Pub after they have run out of Pub Bucks.)

“Don’t pick the first party of the year as “your night to shine.””‘

“At some point in your college career the fire alarm will go off while you’re sleeping. If you happen to sleep naked make sure you have a set of clothes readily available for this moment.”

“Don’t be too stressed about making friends, everyone is in the same position that you are!”

YSR. 

Bethany is a freshman and potential Biology major and Spanish minor from Silver Spring, Maryland, with a concentration in pre-med. She loves swimming, animals, and any outdoor activity she can do.