Pop Some Tags: College Thrifting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

As broke college students we have all been in those situations. The ones that involve erratic searching for formal wear, the overwhelming want to shop, and the despair of having to wear the same outfits you have been wearing since, well, freshmen year. But what is a gal to do? College is not cheap and sadly textbooks have to come before new shoes.

Need help?

Despair no longer my fellow Sewanee students, I am here to enlighten you about the wonder that is thrift store shopping, a practice blessed by the shopping gods. As an experienced thrifter myself, I am here to shed light on how, and where, to score the coolest and cutest things while saving those dollar bills.

1. The Hospitality Shop

There is a cute little yellow building near Delt that most people sadly do not know about. That is the Hospitality Shop, and feel free to think of it as a magical menagerie because that is what it is. This building is full of cute knick-knacks and baubles as well as some major cheap clothes.

Why is it so great? Well, besides the aforementioned cute knick-knacks, the cheap clothes are great because they are not only affordable but tend to be high quality as well. This is where the community tends to drop off their nice, gently worn clothing that is usually name brand. And even when it isn’t name brand, the clothing options are pretty incredible.

Why is it not so great? The hours are a bit strange, so it is not possible to drop by anytime you want. Since the clothing tends to be high quality, it is also not as cheap as some other thrift store options.

At the end of the day, however, the clothes are still much more affordable than the mall plus there is no need to pay for gas when it is possible to just walk to the shop. The sweetest ladies run the shop and it is possible to volunteer there if you need community service hours (or just want to be nice and help out)!

2. Goodwill

Why is it so great? Goodwill has an amazing range of clothing; from current crop-tops to theatrical hoop skirts, from prom dresses to “old lady” sweaters, from stuffed animals to fancy jewelry. The hours are very convenient, which makes up for the fact that no store is within walking distance of campus. The store does display their clothing according to articles and size, but they also color-code which makes it surprisingly easier to shop. And let’s not forget how fantastically cheap it all is! (Pssst, you also get a student discount!)

Why is it not so great? A big downfall to shopping at Goodwill is the fact that the nearest one is about 25 minutes away (my personal favorite is about 45 minutes away). The clothing, stuffed animals, rugs, etc. can also sometimes be stained, damaged in some way, and generally all have a rather odd smell hanging about them (think Grandma’s house when it doesn’t smell like cookies).

However, Goodwill is totally worth the drive and clothes can be washed and repaired (especially when you only pay $3 for a prom dress).

3. Plato’s Closet

Why is it so great? Plato’s Closet is a great place to go because they only accept mainstream, name-brand clothing. Their stores also tend to be larger because they have more advertisements than other thrift stores, so more people tend to donate! I would definitely suggest going there for shoes because they have the current styles you want and you don’t have to spend an arm or a leg to get them. Plus you will feel a lot less guilty buying those spikey stilettos, that you might wear twice, when instead of $65 they’re only $12! They also display their clothes like Goodwill, making it easier to find the things you want.

Why is it not so great? This store is more expensive than either previously mentioned. That is because the clothing is all in pretty much pristine condition and is name brand. However, considering the fact that you can get a jacket from Express for $20 instead of $100, I would not consider it a deal–breaker. The nearest one is also in Chattanooga, so there is that too.

Like Goodwill, Plato’s Closet is definitely worth the drive. You save more money even with the gas spent.

4. Local Thrift Stores!

Why are they great? They are not that far away, plus they tend to be cheaper than any other of the “big name” thrift stores. They also often have “hidden gems” within the confines of their walls (like the perfect necklace to go with your formal dress).

Why are they not so great? They don’t typically offer as much variety as the “big name” stores. Usually their faults are the same as Goodwill in the fact that their merchandise is sometimes damaged in some fashion and can have a “smell.”

However, local thrifting is often the most fun because you are never sure what you’ll find. Definitely more fun when there is a group going!

Now, go my fellow thrifters, and save those dollar bills!

Born and raised in Dandridge, TN, Taylor is a simple pre-law anthropology major and is a fan of anything cute/fluffy, reading, tea/coffee, and cats. Her patronus is Harley Quinn.