sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Perfect Movies to Watch on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Whether you’re single or not, Valentine’s Day is the perfect day to treat yourself to a box of chocolates and a good movie. Despite Valentine’s Day falling in the middle of the week (today!) this year, take a break from your homework or the research paper you’re writing and watch a movie! Here’s a list of movies that I’ll be picking from today:

1. Valentine’s Day

This movie has been a classic for our generation since it came out in 2010. Each character in the movie is played by amazing famous actors such as Julia Roberts, Ashton Kutcher, Jessica Alba, Anne Hathaway, Bradley Cooper, and your favorite Grey Sloan Memorial Doctors Patrick Dempsey (aka Derek Shepard aka McDreamy) and Eric Dane (aka Mark Sloan aka McSteamy). The character’s lives in the movie all intertwine which is so entertaining to me because it gives you an insight into each characters relationship from a different perspective. Even more of a reason to watch Valentine’s Day (at least in my opinion) is that Taylor Swift is also in it. 

Me ^

2. Love Actually

Despite being a classic Christmas movie, Love Actually’s overarching theme is, you guessed it, love. Similarly to Valentine’s Day, each characters lives are also intertwined!

3. The Notebook

Yet another classic, The Notebook is a must watch for obvious reasons. Sewanee even knows it: It’s playing at the SUT!

(Make sure to bring tissues to this one)

4. A Walk to Remember

If you’re sad about being single on Valentine’s Day (which you shouldn’t be!), but if you are, this is the perfect movie to watch to get your tears rolling. So good, so much love, but oh so much sadness and completely worth the pain. 

5. The Proposal

One of my favorite movies! The Proposal is hilarious at times and shows one of the many weird ways that love works. And who wouldn’t want to spend an hour and a half looking at Ryan Reynolds?

6. Titanic

3 hours of brave love and a stupid iceberg that ruins everything (oh and Cal). Another good one if you want to get those tears rolling, or if you want to fall in love with Leonardo DiCaprio AGAIN.

7. Save the Last Dance

One of my good friends told me to watch this movie and boy was she right! A less typical movie about dance and the struggles of being in an interracial relationship. 

8. Fifty Shades of Grey

If you’re looking for something a little more ~saucy~ this Valentine’s Day, you know what to watch. And a bonus: the soundtrack to each Fifty Shades movie is amazing!

Happy Valentine’s Day!!!