12 Things Every Sewanee Girl Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

1. It is okay to ask people out on dates.

Many girls go through high school and college thinking that to go on a date, they must first be asked by a guy. Women often comply to the unwritten rules of the dating game simply because they don’t feel like they have any other options. Most ladies don’t know that when it comes to talking to someone you are interested in, men do not have some natural confidence and talent; they are often just as nervous as we are! A strong, independent woman who knows what she wants and can make the first move can be very attractive. This may be out of your comfort zone, but I encourage all of you to take control of the situation and, if you like someone, ask them on a date. If you are in a sorority, formals are a good place to start. Then you can work up to coffee and dinner. Especially in a place like Sewanee, where hook up culture thrives and even couples don’t go out on dates, this could be a refreshing opportunity for both you and your new love interest!

2. Plan B is only $20 at University Health Services.

We all know that we should all be using condoms every time, and that birth control is wildly successful, but Plan B has its name for a reason, and we all make mistakes sometimes. Plan B can be excessively expensive at some drugstores—up to $50 or more. The discounted rate at which University Health Services offers this one step, emergency contraceptive is extremely helpful to women on a college budget. It is easy to make the appointment and receive the necessary emergency contraception. You can pay for it right there in the office, or have it billed to your Student Account, where it will simply show up as a charge from UHS, so your parents don’t have to know that you were buying emergency contraceptive. Disclaimer: Plan B is found to work for girls who weigh 175 pounds or less. If you do not fall within this range, call your doctor and you may be able to find alternative methods.

3. Don’t wear your Jack Rogers to a frat.

Trust me, you will regret it. You will wake up horrified that Saturday or Sunday morning and wonder how your feet turned brown and how much of the sludge got in your sheets. The filth in most of these frats can ruin shoes, especially a delicate pair of Jacks, and likely adhere to any exposed area of the foot. If you have Frat Jacks, like taking showers while drunk, or like to do laundry every weekend, then by all means, pay no mind to my warnings; but, to the majority of you out there, I suggest you proceed with caution.

4. Don’t be afraid to carry condoms.

Let’s get one thing straight, right now, if it isn’t already clear enough: condoms are not shameful. Being safe and having respect for your body is not something to be embarrassed about. Even on birth control, using a condom is the safest route, every time. I always have one or two on me; in the same pocket of my purse where my spare key and tampons are. Plus, Sewanee makes it easy for their students to be safe, providing condoms at Health Services, the Bairnwick Women’s Center, and vending machines. Carry those condoms with pride, ladies, and take comfort in knowing that you’ll be safe.

5. The Pub does take out.

“So, you are saying there is a God?” Why, yes, I am. No longer do you have to endure awkward wait periods and lonely meals. Drum roll please… And the number is: 931-598-1140.

6. The University Sexual Assault Crisis Response Team is a thing.

And a good thing, at that. Whereas last year, the residents of the Bairnwick Women’s Center would carry a pager and act as a crisis response team for the student body, the University has decided to hire professionals who are trained to take care of survivors of sexual violence and educate them on their many options. The number for the response team is 931-636-4887: put it in your phone, give it to your friends, write it on your keycard for when you’re out. You can read more about the Sexual Assault Crisis Response Team and other resources pertaining to sexual assault, here.

7. Painting a cooler isn’t necessary.

Painted coolers are a time-honored tradition for fraternity away formals. From the way I understand it, the fraternity gentleman that asks you to his formal pays the portion of the trip for both of youin return, you personalize a cooler for him and then fill it with alcohol and other goodies, so the expenses virtually even out. Coolers are sometimes an unspoken expectation of away formal season, and many girls think these grand works of art are required of them. However, some people are not as artistically gifted as others, and some women feel that the practice is demeaning. Whatever the reason, it is helpful to know that painting a cooler isn’t a necessity for a fraternity away formal tripmost fraternity guys will be plenty pleased if he picks you up on Friday afternoon and your bags are full of booze. On the flip side, if you are a particularly skilled painter and have fun doing such activities, it can be fun for you and your girlfriends to get together and paint, and you can volunteer your services to others for payment.

8. The Bacchus dispatch does not work.

“Party like it’s 1999,” the old slogan for the Bacchus extension number, is no longer relevant. Bacchus, the party van that gives students rides between 9:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays, has changed their system, so that there is no dispatcher and an extra driver out on the weekends. This is tough because Bacchus is no longer at our beck and call, but there are more drivers out there on the weekends, and they follow a pretty tight route. Despite the removal of the dispatcher, you are still likely to get picked up within a few minutes of walking.

9. McClurg=free chasers.

Do not ever spend money on mixers for alcoholic beverages ever again, ladies. When you swipe into McClurg for dinner, bring a Nalgene with you to stock up on whatever soda or juice you need to chase your vodka, whiskey, or rum. With the assortment of juice combinations they have, your options for mixed drinks are virtually endless here.

10. Find out the secret Stirling’s recipes from the employees.

The Stirling’s employees have found countless ways to spice up the food and drink menus. Often, they make their own signature sandwiches and drinks, and have likely gotten pretty good at eating Stirling’s on a budget. If you’re looking to break from convention, ask them what they like to make for themselves. Some employees will even mix up a signature drink for you on the spot if you tell them what kind of flavors you’re into.

11. You may not find your husband or wife at Sewanee, and that is totally okay.

I am only a sophomore in college, yet I have already heard of at least six men who put a ring on it. Three of these lucky ladies are my sorority sisters, and I couldn’t be happier for them. They have found their soul mates, and they are not letting go of them. But, all this talk of proposals and weddings and rings kind of made my head spin, and left me wondering whether or not I will be getting my own ring a few semesters from now. I think the chances are slim to none, and you know what—I’m totally fine with that. I have plenty of time to spend finding myself and finding a mate outside of the Sewanee pool of about fifteen-hundred people. Be free, my darlings, explore! And, know that your Sewanee career ultimately ends in a degree and not a diamond.

12. BUT, if you do find your soul mate, we support you!

Having accepted my own fate as a free-range chicken, I am totally on board with young love. I always stay updated on my sisters’ wedding plans and post-ceremony lives. My heart swells when I see how happy their lives are, now that they have found their other halves. I think these early marriage rates can be attributed to more than just young love; Sarah Flanagan outlines in her article many reasons why Millennials are taking their vows so soon after completing their education. So, as you progress to your senior year, get ready to start receiving those “Save the Date” reminders.

Sophomore at Sewanee: The University of the South, majoring in English and Russian with a Certificate in Creative Writing. Proud member of Alpha Delta Theta Sorority and the new Gender and Sexual Diversity House, officer of the Gay-Straight Alliance and College Democrats, writer for The Sewanee Purple and Her Campus Sewanee, and friend of the Bairnwick Women's Center.
Alli Smith is a sophomore from Charlotte, NC. She's majoring in English, with minors in Education and Women's and Gender Studies. She's an avid procrastinator who loves anything on TLC. She's particularly interested in female empowerment and positive sexuality.