What It’s Like Being an International Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Wait, what? You’re from Nigeria? Like an actual international student? That’s so cool!

Yes, well, missing pirate adventure, stepping off a twenty-two hour flight, and getting down to unpacking is not my definition of ‘cool’. Taking the step to attend Seton Hall was a huge one for me. I didn’t know anyone in the school and definitely no one in New Jersey. So as I stepped off that plane, I was super scared and knowing I had missed Pirate Weekend made it a lot worse.

But let’s forget about that. Here’s what it feels like to be an international student from West Africa.

1. Feeling so tired the first few days of class because there is a six-hour difference between New Jersey and Nigeria and all you want to do is crawl back into bed.
  2. When everyone is surprised at how good your English is, but still try to tell you the ‘proper’ way to pronounce the words.
  3. Stepping out in shorts and having to run back to your dorm to change to jeans because for you, winter has already come (having to convert the weather from Celsius to Fahrenheit also sucks).
  4. Missing the native food that you love so dearly and having to adjust to whatever they are giving out in the cafeteria. 

But anyway, the past five weeks have been great! Meeting new people who are so eager to learn about my culture and traditions has been one of the best upsides. Although I missed Pirate Adventure, Seton Hall has been so welcoming! I’ve made lots of friends from all around the world, both Americans and international students like me. Weekend trips to downtown South Orange and nearby areas have quickly become one of my best activities. Slowly, I’m beginning to think of Seton Hall as a second home! So, Let’s Go Pirates!