Sorority Recruitment: The First-Time Sister Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

You’ll hear it from everyone. “Joining Greek life is the best decision I ever made!” or “I was so scared to go through recruitment but I finally found my home!” …It can be nerve-wracking! All of these high expectations leave you with thoughts like “Well what if I don’t fit in with any of them!?”

This year, I had the most wonderful time being able to go through recruitment for the first time as a member of the Greek community. This may sound weird, because you figure if I’m involved in Greek life, I must have gone through the recruitment process before as a PNM. Weirdly enough, this isn’t the case! I am a founding member of the chapter at my school, so my process was weird. Instead of going through rounds with different organizations and girls who could potentially be my sisters, I was interviewed by my organizations national council.

Going into recruitment for my organization was a completely new experience for me. I did not know how it was set up and how it would work out. I thought it would be a fun (but tiring) weekend and at the end of it all, we would excitingly welcome home new members. While it was a fun, tiring, and exciting weekend, I got more out of it than I could have expected.

I spent almost 24/7 with girls from my sorority. We got ready together, went to rounds together, got meals together…We pretty much never left one another’s side. While this sounds like it could have been too much, it brought me closer to every single girl. I talked and made connections with girls who I used to just say a quick “hi, how are you!?” before. I also became closer with girls who I thought we couldn’t get any closer.

It was an experience in itself… The excitement lasted the whole weekend because we couldn’t wait to welcome home our new members. It became even more exciting because of how close I got with my sisters. We became more than just girls who are involved in the same organization. We became girls who were best friends, and that bond made welcoming the new girls an even better experience.

Hello all, my name is Courtney Jenney and I am one of the writers for the Seton Hall Her Campus. I am a Journalism and Public Relations major studying as a full time student at Seton Hall University. I consider myself a lover of all things beautiful; fashion, well-being, beauty, health, art, travel, and music. I was born and raised on Cape Cod in Massachusetts; home to beautiful beach views and royal history. My home is an hour south of Boston; which is why I have a love for all of the New England/Boston sports teams. As passionate for writing as I am, I am striving to entertain others with my writing and provide lively topics for other students around campus! Cheers to the future! XO