NYC Adventures in the Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

To all of those visiting New York City this spring, and to all of those who live in the city or nearby, make sure you utilize all of the perks of being in New York this spring! Here are a few things that anyone can do this spring in NYC (and on a budget)!

1.     Washington Square Outdoor Art Exhibit (Washington Square Park, Greenwich Village; May 28th-June 6th)

Each spring, hundreds of artists display paintings, photography, sculptures, jewelry and woodcraft. These artists use the Village as their creative inspiration, feeding off the works of Jackson Pollock and Willem de Kooning.

2.     Tribeca Film Festival (Various Locations; April 13th-24th)

If you’re interested in being more than the average moviegoer, look no further! Famous for enabling the international film community to the general public, this film festival only happens once a year, every spring. You can purchase tickets for screenings for around $20 or go to a Tribeca Talk for around $40, making this much more budget friendly than you ever thought possible.

3.     Sakura Matsuri: Cherry Blossom Festival (Brooklyn Botanical Garden, Prospect Park; April 30th- May 1st)

This festival marks the end of the Japanese seasonal tradition of blossom appreciation, referred to as Hanami. There is also a fashion show, dance performances, and bands playing music, all surrounded by the beautiful pink and white Cherry Blossom trees!

4.     NYC Vegetarian Food Festival (Metropolitan Pavilion, Chelsea; May 7th-8th)

Disclaimer: not only vegetarians can enjoy this! This festival is centered on the theme of sustainability. With dozens of vendors, lectures on healthy living, and cooking lessons, anyone can take their own delicious spin on health and eating green.

5.     Orchid Show (New York Botanical Garden, February 27th-April 17th)

What better way to ring in spring than to be surrounded by thousands of different species of blossoming orchids?

6.     Zoos

When was the last time you went to the zoo? Was it more than 7 years ago? More than 10 years go? Go re-live your childhood by visiting one of the many NYC zoos. There’s the Central Park Zoo, Bronx Zoo, Prospect Park Zoo, Queens Zoo, etc. Now that the spring weather is here, the animals will be in their outdoor exhibits.

7.     Central Park

An oldie, but goodie. We couldn’t ignore this classic spring gem! You can aimlessly stroll along the 843 acres of this lush, urban park. It is one of the most filmed locations in the world, so you just might wind up being an extra in the next blockbuster! Lay on the grass and sunbathe, or enjoy a nice picnic with a NYC pretzel and dirty water dog.

There are countless music festivals, street fairs, and art exhibits each month. Many of them are FREE! If it’s a rainy day and you’re still looking for some city adventure, check out some of New York City’s incredible museums. There are special days that admission is free and there are always student discounts.

So instead of spending your weekend inside watching Netflix, go out and have an adventure! 

Jillian Lope

Seton Hall

Jillian is a junior attending Seton Hall University and studying Diplomacy and International Relations. She is a traveler, an art lover, and a theatrical soul.