New York City Escape: Seton Hall’s Playground

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

New York City is Seton Hall’s very own backyard jungle gym.  Just a train ride away and a 20 minute walk (give or take) to the station in town; the possibilities are endless for all of us.  However, I find that most students don’t take advantage of all that the city has to offer beyond the bright lights of Times Square.  There is more to the city than just Broadway and the decorated streets surrounding the classic Starbucks on every corner.  I have always tried to find the most uncommon things to do in the city and this often means things that are stumbled upon.  Below you will find six of the most random things I think you should do, instead of what you always want to do.  Which means, ditch the Forever 21 in Times Square for something a little cooler.  Experience the Subway from Brooklyn at 2 a.m. (personal favorite), see a show you wouldn’t normally see and be spontaneous. 

Place to eat: Cafeteria
This is a downtown-absolute-must-try.  Located in the Chelsea area of Manhattan, this small converted restaurant offers great food and a great atmosphere.  The neighborhood is interesting as is but this place makes it completely better.  If you are over 21 the drink selection will be your favorite part of the menu offering awesome options for half the price.  As a celebrity hotspot, who knows, you may just run into your favorite celeb while out on the town with the girls. 

Bookstore to browse: Strand
As an avid book lover I am always on the hunt for a great bookstore.  This past summer I stumbled upon Strand with a friend and was instantly surprised I had never heard of this place before.  Strand is part of what used to be called “book row” in Manhattan and houses over 18 miles of new, used and rare books.  The store has been opened since 1927 and has just about everything and anything you can think of.  It is something you should never pass up and it absolutely beats out Barnes & Noble on any given day.  Trust me; this place is worth putting down your e-reader and getting on the next train to see.

Dessert to die for: Magnolia Bakery
When going to the city for dessert people often identify with Crumbs, the very popular, very delicious bake shop that can be found throughout the city.  However, New York has another decadent bakery to offer everyone.  Located in various places throughout the city, Magnolia Bakery is not only adorable, but worth every penny.  They offer cupcakes, cakes, etc.  I know my friends and I LOVE Magnolia cupcakes and not that we discriminate against other bake shops, but Magnolia sort of takes the cake (pun intended).

Place to shop: FAO Schwarz
I’m not kidding! Sure, just like any girl, I love to hit up the huge Forever 21 in Times Square and get lost in the beautiful Anthropologie near the Avenue of the America’s, but sometimes it is nice to be a kid.  Remember the movie “Big?”  Yup, this is the place that houses that really awesome piano that you can step on.  FAO Schwarz may not be a place you think to frequent when heading into the city, but if you are looking for time to kill and don’t mind spending a pretty penny on their candy bar, FAO Schwarz is the place to be.  Regardless, it is fun to just walk around and look at what it has to offer.  As far as my personal favorite goes, just leave me in the Barbie section, I could be there all day. 

Show to see: The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Sure, I know what you are thinking, “why on earth would I spend the money to see a midnight showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show?” Well because it is the unexpected thing to do and perhaps one of the scariest and best moments of my life.  You are going to have to head downtown for this one and have a well mapped out plan of how you are going to get back because for the full experience you need to see the midnight showing.  There is absolutely no right way to sum this up for you all, but let me tell you, you are in for it.  The Rocky Horror Picture Show has what you would call a “cult following” meaning fans will be dressed up.  It is nothing like Harry Potter fans, trust me.  No cloaks here folks.  Instead they will be in next-to-nothing.  The show will be acted out in front of the movie screen and this is the best part.  They are dressed up and ready to entertain.  Don’t let on that it is your first time at the show, more likely than not, you’ll be dragged to the front of the theater and asked to…well….just don’t do that, it is interesting to say the least.

Museum you wouldn’t think to go to: The Frick Collection
The Frick Collection may just be one of my favorite places in all of Manhattan.  On the Upper East Side, near the MET, the Frick Collection represents classic New York City wealth.  Henry Clay Frick, the original owner of the art was an incredibly wealthy man in is time.  As an avid art collector, the collection is located in his house.  While visiting, you get to view all of the art collection just the way he left it, furniture and all.  Perhaps the most fascinating part of the collection is the building itself.  The whole experience is art simply because the building itself is a masterpiece.  Coolest part?  While the art is great and so is the decadence, it is always a little fascinating thinking of what you cannot see.  The Frick Collection only allows you to see the downstairs of the mansion and visitors are left wondering what the largest marble staircase leads too.  Trust me, I was a little tempted to break the rules. 

Next time you are in the city consider one of the many choices above.  They aren’t pricey, they are simply fun.  They are experiences you can only get in New York and they are plenty worth ditching the M&M store in Times Square to see. 

Charlotte Lewis is a sophomore at Seton Hall University studying Journalism and Public Relations. She recently joined the Her Campus Team and is serving as founder and campus correspondent of the new Seton Hall chapter. Charlotte was born and raised in New Jersey, and is always proud of her Jersey girl status. She serves on the editorial board of the Seton Hall undergraduate newspaper as Assistant News Editor. One of her biggest goals in life is to be just like Blair Waldorf. Realistically, she aims to someday be a correspondent for the New York Times or Time Magazine. You can always find her talking to someone, it's a guarantee that her iPhone is on her at all times. In her spare time Charlotte loves going to New York City, listening to all kinds of music, running, shopping, travelling, and watching everything on Bravo and TLC. She loves to give advice and is always up for an adventure.