Cuffing Season: Netflix and Chill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Tis the cuffing season and we all know what that means. Summer weather quickly transitioned into fall, the crisp autumn air creeping in. The nights begin earlier and the trees begin changing color. Weekend trips consist of making homemade apple cider, going pumpkin picking, and running through corn mazes.

If you don’t know, Urban Dictionary gives the best definition of cuffing season: “During the Fall and Winter months people who would normally rather be single or promiscuous find themselves along with the rest of the world desiring to be ‘Cuffed’ or tied down by a serious relationship. The cold weather and prolonged indoor activity causes singles to become lonely and desperate to be cuffed.”

We’ve all been there. So how do you secure a new bae for the season? Recently, collegiates have been using the Netflix and chill scenario. Now, normally Netflix and chill is a euphemism for something more, but maybe you’re hoping a casual hook-up will lead to becoming cuffed.

Instead of having a traditional view on Netflix and chill, use that time to actually get to know each other. Maybe talk about your favorite shows and movies. Maybe even get crazy and actually stay up late watching Netflix and chilling. If your partner is disappointed that the night didn’t lead to something else, you probably don’t want to be cuffed by him in the first place.

Or, you might want to embrace your singlehood this cuffing season. Screw it! It may be cuffing season but you are a single, independent woman, so take advantage. Use your Netflix and chill time to embrace your promiscuity and lack of a relationship status. You’re free to do whatever you want, whether it be hooking up or cuffing.

Just know, we’re wishing a happy cuffing season to everyone and hoping all of your Netflix and chill dreams come true! 

Rebecca White is a junior at Seton Hall University in New Jersey where she is majoring in Communication Studies and minoring in Writing. She has been on the Dean’s List every semester of her college career and will graduate a semester early in December 2016. During her internships she has conducted celebrity and author interviews. Rebecca is a writer for her college newspaper, The Setonian, and is the Arts and Entertainment copy editor. She aspires to be a novelist while working in the publishing industry, either as a book editor or magazine editor.