Clayton Collier: Sports Director, 89.5 FM WSOU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Year: Senior

Major: Journalism

Hometown: Port Jefferson, NY

We had the chance to talk to Clayton Collier, the Sports Director of Seton Hall’s student-run, award winning radio station, 89.5 FM WSOU. As the Sports Director, Clayton has had the opportunity to call the Seton Hall Pirates’ basketball games. Who better to talk to about March Madness than one of the main men behind the scenes?

Her Campus (HC): Can you briefly explain your role as Sports Director for 89.5 FM WSOU?

Clayton Collier (CC): As Sports Director I oversee all of the sports content that goes on the air at WSOU; about 160 live Seton Hall games and three weekly talk shows. I set the broadcast schedules, set up interviews with athletics, help arrange travel for our road games, and train our sports staff with the equipment.

HC: What is your favorite aspect about this position?

CC: By far my favorite part is being on the call for an exciting basketball game that goes down to the wire. This past Big East Tournament was one of the most incredible three days of my college career. Calling the Villanova upset and being on the court for the trophy presentation were moments that I’ll never forget.

HC:  What are your predictions for the tournament?

CC: With amount of upsets in the regular season, were in for a wild NCAA Tournament. This past Thursday and Friday have had a crazy amount of upsets, my bracket’s already busted so I’m probably not the best to ask.

Clayton Collier (left) and George Balekji (right) during March Madness in Denver, Colorado.

HC: What do you think about Seton Hall’s ranking?

CC: Seton Hall really got the short end of the stick on Selection Sunday. They entered the Big East Tournament predicted as a 7-seed, won the whole thing, and upset the number 3 and 5 team in the country in 24 hours, and they’re a 6-seed that has to travel out to Denver, adjust to the altitude and play at 11pm ET against a West Coast team that made the Elite Eight last year? They deserved much better.

HC:  What do you think the Seton Hall team needs to do to carry this momentum into next year’s season?

CC: If Seton Hall can keep this entire team intact for next year, this is a Preseason Top 25 team and a Final Four contender. No question. It’s a great time to be a Pirate.

HC:  What do you think qualified Coach Willard to win Big East Co-Coach of the year?

CC: He absolutely deserves it, he had a team coming off a collapse and a divided locker room and in one season turns around and leads his team to 25 wins, a Big East title, and the Big Dance.

Jillian Lope

Seton Hall

Jillian is a junior attending Seton Hall University and studying Diplomacy and International Relations. She is a traveler, an art lover, and a theatrical soul.