Campus Celeb-Braeden Anderson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Finals are right around the corner and everyone is under pressure to do well during this last stretch.  Unlike most of his undergrad teammates, the new pirate on Seton Hall’s basketball team Braeden Anderson is juggling law school and being a D1 athlete. Impressed by his drive, Her campus had to sit down with him and find out what his keys to success are, because clearly we’re doing it wrong.

(Her Campus): So most of are readers are undergrads just trying to balance school, work and a social life. How do you balance your time between basketball and law school?

(Braeden Anderson): There are 24 hours in a day, and I try utilizing all of them very efficiently. Balancing law school and basketball just requires a lot of discipline and sacrifice. Everyday is really a grind. But when you’re passionate about your goals and serious about success, there’s no other way you’d rather spend your day. It’s all about what your priorities are and what you’re trying to get out of life.

(HC): But having such high demands on you must be a lot sometimes, how to do manage when you’re feeling overwhelmed with everything?

(BA): When I feel overwhelmed, I ignore it and get back to work (chuckles). Too many people let their emotions dictate what they do. Emotions can deceive and mislead people. It can lead to excuses, and the rationalization of personal failures and shortcomings. Some things in life are meant to be hard. They are meant to be overwhelming. Accept and appreciate the growth and transformation that these difficult situations will create in your life. 

(HC): To be so disciplined you must have a study routine right?

(BA): Yes, having a schedule is important to make sure everything is given the amount of time it needs. I study from 7:30am- 10:00am, go to class from 10:30- 1:00pm, study again from 1:00pm- 2:00pm, go to practice from 3:00- 5:30pm, and then study again from 6:30-1:00am.

(HC): With a schedule like that having a personal life or time can be difficult, what’s most important to you personally and how do you make time for it?

(BA): The people around me who support me are everything. I call my girlfriend and family during my drive to and from South Orange everyday. And yes I still focus on the road, I have Bluetooth, calm down (laughs).

(HC): Glad to know you’re being safe. So after all the stress, basketball and law school, when it all pays off where do you see yourself ten years from now? 

(BA): It’s really hard to say, life is so unpredictable, All that I can do is pledge to make the most out of every situation I’m ever in. That’s what I plan on. Whether that ends up with me still being a lawyer, transitioning into business, or becoming a NJ senator is hard to say right now. I’m just doing everything I can to live in the now and be the best person I can be.

Crystal Jones is an upstate New York native that skips to her own rhythm. Ms. Jones’s hard work ethic and positive attitude allows her to stand out amongst her competitors. Crystal is currently a senior and will be graduating this upcoming May 2016 from one of New Jersey’s leading institutes, Seton Hall University. She is pursuing a degree in Public Relations and minoring in graphic design. She is extremely passionate about art and the creative process that enables artist to take simple ideas to the next level. Between classes and a part-time job, Crystal is the president of Seton Hall University’s PRSSA chapter, an Adhoc. to Seton Hall’s Student Government Association PR Committee and a blogger for Seton Hall’s Her Campus chapter. Crystal’s dream job is to work of a fashion and production company where she can utilize her creative abilities. Crystal hopes to “inspire underprivileged young men and women to attend college and follow their biggest dreams”.