Wander the Desert Once Again: Why You Should Go to Coachella 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Coachella’s 2016 lineup has been revealed and the rumors are true: Guns N’ Roses are to reunite for the festival. Although not all original Guns N’ Roses members will attend, Axl Rose, Slash, and bassist Duff Mckagan will take the headliners spot on April 16 and 23. This will be the first time in 23 years that the three founding members have shared a stage, and the reunion even has some speculating of a Guns N’ Roses reunion tour to take place sometime this year. Let’s just hope the Rock and Roll Hall of Famers can make it through the festival without any resentment (wouldn’t want them to cancel on us). 

The iconic Coachella festival was sold out within an hour after tickets opened to the public, which indicates the consumers’ excitement for the festival (or the greediness of re-sale distributers, smh). Other headliners include LCD Soundsystem and Calvin Harris as well as sub-headliners, such as Ellie Goulding, Ice Cube (crossing our fingers for a special appearance by Dr. Dre), A$AP Rocky, James Bay, The 1975,and Sia. Up-and-coming artists like Chris Stapleton, Cold War Kids and Alessia Cara will also attend.

Debates have begun on Twitter using #Coachella about whether or not 2016’s lineup will overshadow last year’s lineup of AC/DC, The Weeknd, Hozier, Jack White, and Drake. Feedback alternates from positive to negative and even outrage for some, but one thing certain: This year’s lineup is almost 75 percent EDM (up from last year’s 50 percrent), which shows Coachella’s willingness to satisfy this generation’s ever growing electronic taste. 

Living in San Diego gives us the perfect opportunity to attend Coachella, so gather that money you’ve been saving on top of your desk and stock up on sunscreen because it’s time to wander the desert, once again.

Currently in the process of obtaining a journalism degree at San Diego State University. Born and raised in the Inland Empire (specifically, Colton, for all my fellow Inland Empire-ians). I am an aspiring music journalist, eager to interview the hottest in the industry and justly geek out in front of them (like a real professional). My music taste ranges from the swing era of ole blue eyes, the British revolution, flower power and psychedelic rock of the 60's and 70's, to today's soul and alternative rock. elenamacias11@yahoo.com
Sophomore at San Diego State University, majoring in Journalism with an emphasis in Public Relations. Campus co-correspondent in San Diego State University's Her Campus chapter. Born and raised in the Inland Empire. In addition to my love for journalism, I also love baseball, reading, and hanging out with my friends.