This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

“We love vaginas! Do you love vaginas! Come, love your vagina!!!”

Last week the main attraction on Campanile was a little pink and black booth crowded with men and women shouting at passer-byers about their vaginas, passing out flyers, and selling shirts to anyone who stopped to approach them. All under the name of what cause exactly? Well technically V-Day SDSU, but more importantly they were advertising the upcoming showing of the Vagina Monologues they were holding.

Perhaps a little background is required when it comes to this whole pink fiesta. V-Day is an organization dedicated to a world without violence against women. They work to raise money to fight against rape, incest, genital mutilation, sexual slavery, and battery.  The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler are one of the main events our own V-Day SDSU puts on to raise money. The show itself is an episodic play written in 1996 including a variety of different skits addressing sex, rape, menstruation, masturbation, love, orgasm, birth, and simply the vagina itself and is performed in accordance with V-Day every year between February 1st and April 30th across the nation. It started as a small demonstration, but has over the years helped raise over $75 million dollars for women’s anti-violence groups. Our amazing campus group aligned this educational and infamous event with three others.

This past week there was a Valentine Themed Improv Show, an “Until The Violence Stops” film screening, and a “Read My Lips” open mic night. All events except the main event (that being The Monologues of course,) were open at ‘pay what you can rate’ and everyone was welcome. From examining their various page,s I gather they haven’t quite reached their monetary goal yet, but I hope they are well under way. These events are meant to educate, encourage, and call to action the women of today’s generation. To every woman out there, I hope as many of you as possible took advantage of this event. Or at least grabbed a flyer and listened to the loud noises echoing from that booth as I mentioned previously. That being said they were very loud, and it’s hard to miss the word ‘vagina’ when it’s screamed into a crowd.If you did go, let us know what you think!! I’d love to be enlightened by what San Diego State thinks of their private parts.

To be honest I think this event is wonderful, and I love that our school is an avid supporter of vaginas. Well, maybe they wouldn’t phrase it like that, but I certainly would. As an online magazine trying to connect women to their local campus talking about everything female and organizations that openly supports it seems pretty normal to me, and obligatory too. Get involved if you can, http://www.vday.org/home.  This is their national page, and what organization isn’t always looking for more donations and volunteers. Get involved, because seriously SDSU, your vagina needs you.

Hello! My name is Holly, and I'm currently a sophomore at San Diego State University studying Hospitality and Tourism Management, specializing in events. I may not be studying it but I have a strong passion for journalism, coffee, Harry Potter, yogurtland, Criminal Minds, and all things HerCampus! Hope I can entertain you, and learn from collegiates all over the country!!
Jazmine is a freshman at San Diego State University in beautiful SO Cal. With plans to major in Communication and double minor in public relations as well as TFM (Television, Film, and New Media), she deeply enjoys reading, writing, and getting to know people around campus. As the founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU, her hopes are high and she is confident the branch will be a wonderful success. While in her first year of college, she is learning how to be more involved around campus while maintaining her studies. After spending a few childhood years living in Europe and traveling internationally, Jazmine has a passion for learning about different cultures from all over the world, especially the different foods! Future plans? She intends to have a career in media, preferably at a fashion magazine, such as Seventeen, or work with a popular television network such as OWN. In her free time she enjoys being with friends, reading, photography, Sunday church, learning how to play the ukulele, organizing things, and spending hours in the beauty department at almost any store.