Style > Beauty

Natural Beauty: Simple & Cheap Beauty Tips and Tricks for Healthy, Glowing Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Who says you need to spend big bucks being beautiful? Ladies, we have far too many frivolous expenses as it is.  Pampering is a wonderful thing, but we can stay gorgeous without going broke. After all, you never know when you’ll need to splurge on something special. Here’s to all the natural beauties at SDSU! Try these 5 beauty recipes that you can easily whip up with ingredients from your kitchen:

1) The Glow Facial

San Diego’s dry weather can take a toll on skin, especially in winter, leaving it dull and flaky.  Fret not; this facial will have your skin glowing and radiant in no time, with ingredients rich in Vitamins A and C that are powerful antioxidants with numerous benefits including collagen synthesis!

Steps:
o   Blend half a guava with half a cup of carrots and a tablespoon of water.
o   Add 1 and a half teaspoons of honey and half a teaspoon of lemon juice to the mixture. Stir well.
o   Apply the mixture evenly on your face, avoiding the delicate eye area.
o   Relax for 15 minutes and let the mask work its magic.
o   Rinse off the mask with warm water. Finish with a splash of cold water and say hello to the glow!

2) Tea Time For Tired Eyes

Assignments and exams have you burning the midnight oil? Staring at your computer screen for hours at that desk job? Partying like class is cancelled tomorrow? If you’re staring at panda eyes in the mirror the next morning, make sure you try this remedy instead of the typical cucumber slices followed by a cover-up with concealer. Say “adiós”to tired, and puffy eyes and embrace looking like you’ve had a good night’s rest.

Steps:
o   Steep 2 bags of chamomile tea in 1 cup of hot water for 5 minutes
o   Remove the teabags and let them cool to room temperature
o   Lie down and place them on your closed eyes for 10 minutes. Feel free to leave them on longer if you want to relax.
o   Remove the teabags from your eyes and enjoy that cup of chamomile tea! You are now ready to take on the world and reflect the beauty in the windows to your soul.

3) Pumpkin Body Polish

Many of my friends load up on heavy creams in this dry weather, but some of them don’t realize that dryness is largely due to dry skin cell buildup. Those thick layers of cream will not penetrate without exfoliation. This body polish will remove those dry skin cells and reveal smooth skin that is ready to be moisturized. Pumpkin Body Polish will also delight your senses and leave you feeling rejuvenated after your shower! This recipe makes a glass jar that can last up to 4 months and should be used 2-3 times a week. Store in a cool dry place.

Steps:
o   Stir 2 cups of brown sugar, 1 cup of granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice (or 1 tablespoon of cinnamon.)
o   Add 1 cup of sunflower or safflower oil to the mixture and mix well.
o   Pour this body polish into a glass jar.
o   In the shower, wet your body and take a fistful of the polish. Starting at the extremities, massage in a circular motion towards the heart. Avoid the sensitive areas. Rinse well and towel dry.
o   Follow up by massaging your skin with some warm extra virgin olive oil or your favorite moisturizer. In sunny San Diego, beach days are practically every day! So go out there and enjoy the sunshine and show off your silky skin. Don’t forget to pack some sunscreen! Be sure to try the next recipe for a face exfoliator.

4) Mrs. Sugar and Spice Scrub

Weekly facial exfoliation is a great way to get rid of dead skin, dirt, oil and product buildup that can clog pores, resulting in acne and a dull complexion. Here’s a scrub for smooth, rosy skin that will have you smelling delicious!

Steps:
o   Combine 1 tablespoon each of brown sugar, granulated sugar, ground oatmeal and almond oil with 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract.
o   Gently scrub mixture on face for 2 minutes, avoiding the delicate eye area.
o   Rinse off with warm water.
o   Pat dry with tissues and moisturize that baby soft skin, babe!

5) Luscious Lip Plumper

With Spring break just around the corner, let’s get our lips plump and luscious without scary injections and artificial results! All you a dash of cinnamon and some petroleum jelly like Vaseline for a plump pout!

Steps:
o   Smooth a thick layer of petroleum jelly over your lips.
o   Evenly pat a dash of cinnamon on top.
o   Rub the cinnamon into your lips for a couple of minutes. You will experience some tingling.
o   Gently wipe off the lip plumper with a tissue.
o   Apply a thick layer of petroleum jelly over your lips and let it soak in for at least 15 minutes. Muah! HCXO.

Skin care that’s natural, effective, cheap and easy; now that is a beautiful thing! There has never been a time that I have seen a smiling face that was not beautiful. So, let’s keep our wallets full and our lives happy, beautiful ones!

Aisha is a senior completing her last semester at San Diego State University.  Her experiences in very different parts of the world including Salt Lake City, Utah and the island of Penang in Malaysia have challenged her to develop into a interculturally competent person; one who can effectively work in multifaceted, result-driven environments and communicate with people from various ethnic and social backgrounds with an open mind. She has attended more than ten different schools with very different curriculums. She chose to pursue public relations and journalism because she wants to come “as close as possible to the heart of the world,” like Henry Luce.Her insatiable love for fashion, beauty and culture comes together perfectly in her position as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus SDSU. The management style and ambition that Aisha has is in part inspired by her father, an international entrepreneur and freelance journalist who has earned a reputation for being fervent and thought-provoking.She just completed a strategic PR proposal for her client, Freedom Ranch, and is currently interning at Gable PR. She plans on pursuing an M.B.A. in the future, with the hopes of establishing her own PR firm one day. She enjoys fashion, culture, the beach, playing soccer, music, traveling, gourmet food, shopping, writing, and socializing.
Jazmine is a freshman at San Diego State University in beautiful SO Cal. With plans to major in Communication and double minor in public relations as well as TFM (Television, Film, and New Media), she deeply enjoys reading, writing, and getting to know people around campus. As the founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU, her hopes are high and she is confident the branch will be a wonderful success. While in her first year of college, she is learning how to be more involved around campus while maintaining her studies. After spending a few childhood years living in Europe and traveling internationally, Jazmine has a passion for learning about different cultures from all over the world, especially the different foods! Future plans? She intends to have a career in media, preferably at a fashion magazine, such as Seventeen, or work with a popular television network such as OWN. In her free time she enjoys being with friends, reading, photography, Sunday church, learning how to play the ukulele, organizing things, and spending hours in the beauty department at almost any store.