The 6 Things You’ll Miss the Most Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

It’s one of those days where you’re ready to take a nice relaxing bath and curl up with your favorite book. Psych! Welcome to college: a world filled with cafeteria food, tiny beds, and crazy floor mates. While all these things will add up to a ton of crazy memories at the end of your four years here, they do make you appreciate all of the little luxuries you left back at home. Here’s a list of the six things that you’ll probably miss most after coming to college.

1. Your mom

Yes, she nags you about how you need to clean your room, be home by curfew, and taxi your siblings around to soccer practice, but you don’t realize how much you’ll miss her until the only way you can see her face is through a computer screen. If that hasn’t hit you yet, just wait; we all have those days where all we want is a big hug from Mom. So give her a call; I guarantee she misses you just as much as you miss her.

2. Your bed

Let’s face it, twin XL beds are not that comfortable, and if you’re anything like me you really miss sprawling out on your plush mattress. Lucky for us, that’s what mattress toppers are for (even though you and I both know that twin bed will never be as cozy or spacious as your bed back home).

3.  Your dog (or any pet)

Whether your dog is your baby or your best friend, he/she’s probably what you’re going to miss the most while you’re away.  No amount of pictures or even Facetimes can heal the pain you feel knowing your dog is waiting at home for you. But don’t worry, soon enough your furry friend will be in your arms once again And no, your dog doesn’t think you died – I promise.

4. A home cooked meal

Benson food just doesn’t cut it sometimes. And that Ike’s run every once in a while doesn’t do the trick either. Whether your mom makes the best enchiladas or pasta, that’s probably going to be the hardest change you have to deal with. You used to be able to just walk to the kitchen and grab some delicious food. Now you actually have to put in the effort of walking to Benson to satisfy your random cravings. How many days till Thanksgiving break again? …

5. Your own bathroom

Shower shoes? A bathroom key? These are things you would never have to worry about when showering at home, but they’re definitely things you have to worry about in college. Gone are the days of walking next door to your bathroom without a second thought. But now, you have to ask yourself: Do I have my bathroom key? Shower caddy? Towel? Robe? (Oh and walking around your dorm in just a robe? Yeah, have fun getting used to that.)

6. Your own room

One of the biggest changes that comes with living in college is living with a roommate. Unless you have siblings, you’re probably used to having a room all to yourself where you can go shutout your parents and friends when you’re just fed up with everything. Well welcome to college where that’s no longer an option.  Not only do you have to deal with a roommate who has completely different living, sleeping, and studying habits, but you also have to cope with dorm life.  The constant coming and going of your floor mates is something you’re going to have to deal with, too. But let’s face it: dorm life is still pretty great, so enjoy it while you can!

Photo Sources:

Photo 1 – theguardian.com

Photo 2 – tirzalishezz.com

Photo 3 – thinkstockphotos.com

Photo 4 – saveur.com

Photo 5 – collegelife.about.com

Photo 6 – metro.us.com

Victoria is a senior at Santa Clara University and is a History and Spanish double major with double minors in Political Science and Anthropology. A native Los Angelino, she's a huge Kings & Dodgers fan & will defend her favorite teams fiercely. Lover of Netflix, popcorn, & mint moose tracks ice cream. You can basically count on finding her snacking, binge-watching Game of Thrones, or in the library (sometimes all three at the same time).